Advertisements
interior cloth replacement

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Candyman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2010, 09:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default interior cloth replacement

Has anyone attempted to replace the interior ceiling cloth from front to back of the car. The Haynes manual doesn't look very helpful. Mine is ripped up with several bits hanging down, so is quite ugly now.

If this is possible, where is the best place to get the replacement cloth. It looks like a complicated job.

Last edited by syrahnose; 22 Oct 2010 at 09:36 pm.
Old 23 Oct 2010, 03:36 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: interior cloth replacement

Hey their syrahnose,

First off, Welcome to the Forum.

Now, replacing your Headliner isn't really all that hard to do. It is however one of those Jobs where its always easier to practice before you try so you know what your getting into ahead of time verses trying to jump right in and hope for the best if you know what I mean. Of course we are in the real world here, and practice might not be a viable option, but I had to give you a heads up.

You didn't specify what year your PT is, but I would assume it is the older body style from 2001 - 2004.

First off, the Headliner needs to be removed. To do this you must:

Remove all the Interior plastic Pillars including the "A"Pilar's, "B", "C", and "D" Pillars from the Interior which all should just pop out. Then you need to remove the sun visors, Dome light, and any other Component's as well so you can remover the Headliner from the Vehicle..

There are 2 'button clips' over the rear hatch, just pull down on the headliner, they are a part of the headliner, and do not need to come out.

The headliner is secured along both sides by the weather striping.

Here is a look at what the back side of the seat belt anchor covers look like.

Their are 2 metal dimples that catch the cover.

Slide a screwdriver behind the cover to clear the dimples, and slide the cover straight up to remove.

Now remove all of the Plastic "Pillar" Panels. The "A" Pillars are the plastic pieces on each side of the Windshield, "B" and "C" Pillars are in the center where the Doors are located, and the "D" Pillars are at the rear. They are all just held in place using standard clips, and should easily pop off. Just be careful to not damage any parts, or snap any clips if you can help it.

Next, the Center Dome Light also just pops out of its place, and has a simple Plug.

Here is the B pillar seat belt slide.

The red arrow is where the bolt goes.

It is recommended not trying to remove the knob to remove the slide as it can be a real pain to get back together correctly.

The headliner is held up along the sides by the door weather strips. Pull the headliner away from the strips. Once loose, I recommend reclining both front and back seats to allow for some extra room, and remove the Headliner out the rear of your PT. This is the easiest way to get it out by far.

Once the Headliner is out, you will need to remove all of the old material, glue, and anything else all the way down to a completely clean and smooth surface. Anything left on the Headliner Board will show through to the final product so it is critical to do as good of job as possible here. A Wire Brush, and / or Sandpaper works fine.

As for Material, you can go to just about any Fabric or Crafts Store, and they should have something that will work. You can opt to go for either a Stock look, or even a Custom look with a Suede, or a Pattern, or whatever you would like. In the case of redoing a simple Headliner, they all for the most part go on pretty much the same, and most Raw Materials for this type of job are not all that expensive as a whole. I looked but do not have the exact measurement for the PT Headliner n front of me at the moment unfortunately, but all you do is take the Measurement off your Headliner Panel, plus a minimum 3 1/2 to 4"" overlap all the way around. You will want to wind up with a 2" Overlap, but I would suggest having a little extra just in case something comes up. Better to have a little more than to not have enough.

After you have the Material ready to go, first lay it out over the board, and carefully trim down to a 3" overlay around all of the edges all of the way around the board nice and even.

Then fold the material back half way. Now you will want to use some 'High-Heat' spray contact cement which you should also be able to find at the same place where you bought the Materials from. It comes in a Spray Can and is fairly easy to use. 3M makes a very good and trustworthy adhesive, and is highly recommended if you can find some. Another good Source to try to locate some good 'High-Heat' spray contact cement might be Home Depot, or Lowes Home Improvement Stores if the Fabric Store does not have anything suitable, though this should not be an issue in most circumstances.

You are going to want to spray the Glue in a well ventilated area, and always wear a protective Mask, rubber gloves, and proper eye protection to be safe anytime when working with Glue and other relate Chemical Compounds. You will want to assure their is a minimum breeze to reduce the risk of overspray, and begin shooting in a nice even side to side pattern slightly overlapping to ensure full and even coverage. If you miss a spot, the material may not adhere properly and leave a defect in the final outcome so spray careful, and make double sure you get proper coverage.

Once you finish the firs half with the Adhesive, then carefully and slowly start to lay down your Material into place. Make sure to get the fabric as smooth as possible with no creases. It is much easier at this stage to have a friend hold the material while you smooth it onto the surface. An extra pair of hands is always nice at this point for sure.

Once the first half is complete, then flip the other half over and repeat the process.

Now I will usually wait for about an hour to let the Adhesive set up before moving on, but this is optional. I just like to make double sure everything is good and somewhat dry so their is no possible chance at any kind of sagging issues later on. When its time, go ahead and flip the board over applying on top of a clean surface of some plastic sheeting as to try to avoid getting the new Materials dirty, or stained. Next carefully spray some more Adhesive along the edge of the Board, and proceed to pull the material tight, and fold over to create a clean line around the outer edge of the board, and achieve a nice and clean finished product. Again, try to keep everything as completely smooth as possible. After you finish the edges all the way around the board, flip it back over immediately and lay it right side up again so it applies pressure to the edges so you should get a good bond.

After a good 1-2 Hours, you should be good to go. Be sure to trim a hole for the Dome Light.

Before going to reinstall your new Headliner, you can Opt to pick up some dense 'closed cell' foam from the same place you got your Materials from. This is simply a piece of dense Foam which is glued to your roof of your PT, and acts like a bit of a sound barrier between your metal roof, and the new Headliner. It is just a nice little extra trick that adds to a quality job.

Here is the Roof before the Foam Application.

And after Foam Application. This Foam simply trims to fit, and then is applied using some more of the same Adhesive used to glue the Headliner Material to the Board.

Now if everything went well, it is time to go ahead and reinstall your new Headliner, and then kick back and admire all your hard work.

Like I say, its really not that hard to do, but its one of those things much like tinting windows, if you have the means to practice a few times, it will be much easier to do a better job. First time you don't know what to expect so the chance of messing something up, or something not going exactly according to plan is way high. Its not rocket science though, and even if you should mess up, its not that hard to take it all back down and start over if need be. Of all the Interior, the Headliner is by far the easiest thing you can do on your own. As with most things, One of the keys to doing a good job is going slowly, and carefully. Don't get into a rush as this is where things can tend to go wrong, and then it can easily get away from you fast. Just go slow and careful, and you should be fine.

Hopefully that should help guide you through the basic process, however should you need any help, or have anymore questions on anything, I am around here several times a day every day so please feel free to drop me a line anytime and I am always more than happy to try to help out wherever I can.

I would like to acknowledge, and thank Mr. Mikes.com for part of the Information, as well as Photo's used in this Post to help better demonstrate, and explain this process of replacing a Headliner in a PT Cruiser.

I wish you the best of luck should you decide to move forward and tackle this job, and please let me know how it goes.
dercannius likes this.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing

Last edited by Candyman; 23 Oct 2010 at 06:09 pm.
Old 23 Oct 2010, 06:38 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: interior cloth replacement

I would take it to an upholstery shop and let them do it.I have done them on a few cars/trucks and it's pretty easy to mess up.At least that way you know it will be done right.
Old 23 Oct 2010, 08:44 am
Banned

If you're handy with your hands it's not that hard to do ,but just be careful and follow candyma---er--- I mean MR. MIKES instructions that were posted above. I was visiting Mr. Mike (he's just a few miles down the road from me) the day he did this install on his "batmobile" PT. Those are his pics and his instructions from the Mr Mikes website. About 95% of what you just posted was directly from his site. I'm sure he would appreciate a --instructions from mrmikes.com -- or something to that effect.

MrMikes PT Headliner

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 23 Oct 2010 at 08:46 am.
Old 23 Oct 2010, 06:18 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman

Hey their Jerry,

I was intending on coming back earlier this morning and cleaning up the wording a bit more on this post as I responded to it way late last night while I was about half asleep. This was also not intended on being a formal Write Up, but rather just a quick and simple answer to a question and nothing more.

I did borrow the photos, from Mr. Mike as I thought some of trying to explain how to remove the Headliner from the PT was easier to explain follow by pictures for the new Member to follow. I was going to just provide a Link to Mr. Mikes but the information was not complete. Their is no mention on removing the old material, cleaning and prepping the headliner board, and little on applying and smoothing the new material to re-cover everything. So I used the portion which showed how to remove the Headliner from a PT since I do not have photo's of removing my own other than a few Street Rods I have done which don't pertain to the PT, and I could not find any other good examples for use in this response.

Beyond using the information on how to remove the Headliner, everything else I wrote myself which makes up more than half of my post above, so I am not sure where 95% came from but whatever the case, I do apologize for any misunderstanding. It was not my intention to in any way try to pass this information along as my own, but rather simply try to help explain to a fellow Member how to go about removing, and recovering a Headliner in a PT. I did go back and give acknowledgment, and Thank You to Mr Mike in my Post, and again apologize for any misunderstanding, or mis-communication on my part.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing

Last edited by Candyman; 23 Oct 2010 at 06:21 pm.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 04:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Candyman,

thank you for this thoughtful and detailed explanation. You are very kind to take the time and make the effort to make clear what is obviously a fair bit of complicated work. I'm an American living in New Zealand and PTs are not easy cars to keep running. All of our parts must come from Singapore, air freighted in, just in time, so are very expensive by the time they get here. Since Chrysler collapsed there are no dealers here and I must source parts via Mitzubishi, so you can understand why it's all expensive with so many levels clipping the ticket on the way in.

For your information, our car is a 2001 Limited with leather seats and a sunroof. The cloth is a creamy/beige color.

I'll have a long hard look at your instructions, and once I've sourced some new cloth I'll have a shot at getting the car the interior it deserves.

I have to say our car has had a lot of hard use. I carry all kinds of tools and materials in it. Where I've found the 2 litre engine made it a bit gutless, over all I think the design of the interior has been pretty clever in its usefulness. Interior space and access really are one of the cars major strengths.

One of the cool things about PTs down under is there aren't very many of them, so they still turn heads and look contemporary. People are always asking how it runs.

best wishes to you all.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 04:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, and let me thank Mr. Mike too for all his considerable effort in this.

I hadn't thought about the possibility of just ordering the cloth directly from the USA and gluing it on the headliner myself. Or, more fun, putting a customized interior in instead!

Thanks again.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 04:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrahnose View Post
Yes, and let me thank Mr. Mike too for all his considerable effort in this.

I hadn't thought about the possibility of just ordering the cloth directly from the USA and gluing it on the headliner myself. Or, more fun, putting a customized interior in instead!

Thanks again.
Now is the time for a custom interior.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar