Advertisements
2003 interior lights stay on

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By skirevskip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Dec 2010, 07:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 interior lights stay on

Just went out in the garage and found the interior lights on. This is the second time this has happened. Had to turn the ignition switch on and off before the lights would go off. After getting out of the car and shutting the door, the lights dimmed normally. Any one have a clue?

Thanks in advance for your help

Richard Shields
Old 13 Dec 2010, 09:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: 2003 interior lights stay on

i would think that something was left open. did you check all of the doors to see if they were closed? did you check your dimmer switch? did you leave anything on? I know these questions may be stupid but at least this can give us more of an idea of what you've done so far.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 10:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

All doors were closed tight. No switches were on. All I did was open the drivers door, get in the car, close door. Interior lights stayed on. Inserted the ignition key and turned it on and off. The lights went through the dimming process and turned off. Opened the drivers door to get out. The lights came on. Closed the door and the lights dimmed and went off. Been through this process two times. I'm suspicious the device that dims and turns off the lights is failing. But I'm not versed in the PT Cruiser's wiring.

Richard
Old 14 Dec 2010, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My first thought is that it is your multifunction switch is going bad. People have found their fog lamps on when they knew they had shut them off. The same thing may be happening with your interior lights.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 14 Dec 2010, 12:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Could be a stuck relay/connection in the door latch that didn't close properly when you shut the door so it thought the door was still open.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 09:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin--have a similar problem, but if it's a door relay switch, wouldn't a door open icon show on the instrument panel?
Old 13 Mar 2011, 09:27 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: 2003 interior lights stay on

Hey their skirevskip,

Not necessarily if its just starting to go out and creating an intermittent problem not doing it all the time, and might be getting stuck to the point where its not quite catching so that its leaving the light on and nothing else.

Might be just a ghost in the system as well though. Might just try removing the positive battery cable for a good minute and the reinstall to reset the system and see if that might have any effect on it as well. Just more or less something else to try though my money is still on a semi faulty relay just starting to go out.

That's my 2 cents anyway for what its worth. Hope you get her figured out, or f not I am sure someone on here, or one of the many grearheads over at PTCrew should be able to help you troubleshoot it.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 13 Mar 2011, 09:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, Candyman--mine are now functioning correctly and I don't know why. First the airbag light stays on for a couple of days, then it's okay. Next the rear hatch light stays on for a day, then it's alright. And most recently, my interior lights stay on when I turn the ignition switch off (two days), and now they're okay. Will try your ghost solution next time something goes awry (unless you know an exorcist specializing in Cruisers).
acelawler likes this.