Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The great door lock issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Dec 2010, 07:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default The great door lock issues

I just recently bought myself a 2002 PT Cruiser LE.
When I bought it, the guy said the power door locks don't work and that I would need to get a new RKE module.
Cool no problem, I did that. Plugged it in, and voila, the door locks work again.
Great.
Now my question is, why won't they work with the ignition is turned on? I understand you can't lock the doors when the car is running, but you should be able to unlock the doors.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06 Jan 2011, 11:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: The great door lock issues

So here is an update on this one:
I have since put in an after remote starter with keyless entry. At first I was still having the same symptoms. So in the real world, this is how it looks. I remote start my car, and then try to unlock the doors with the aftermarket remote and nothing happens. The lights flash indicating the RS is getting the signal, but it doesn't unlock the doors.
Now, if there is anyone out there that has had an aftermarket keyless entry system installed in their car, you know that, one pulse will unlock the drivers door, and a second pulse will unlock the other doors. At first, this worked flawlessly in my car. Now, the first pulse will turn the interior light on, (as it did before) but won't unlock the drivers door, and certainly won't unlock the rest of the doors.
I am wondering if there is something wrong with the new RKE module I put in. I know a lot of people are having issues with RKE modules, I am wondering if anyone has had anything like this happen.

What causes these modules to fail so often?
Old 06 Jan 2011, 12:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

i had an after market remote start with keyless entry installed on the wife's 2001. got it home and pretty much the same thing, wouldn't unlock after remotely started. also, the wipers didn't work after the install. took it back and they fixed everything. i don't know if you installed it or had it done, but if it was installed by someone else, i would definintely take it back. i paid close to $300 and for that kind of money outlay, everything better work.
Old 06 Jan 2011, 01:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ya for sure, I agree with you 100%. But being that I've been having issues with the RKE before the RS installation, I would want to isolate the issue before going somewhere and saying they did something wrong.
Besides, pressing the unlock button on the door wouldn't unlock the door, while the ign was on, prior to the installation.
But thats great feedback.
Thanks