Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Can I re-paint the dash myself??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2011, 12:49 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to XmasDVD
Default Can I re-paint the dash myself??

See image below - the dashboard sections that are grey (not my image) - can I pop them off and paint them myself and clearcoat them? What's the best (cheapest) way to do this and make it look decent myself? I want to paint them either green or red...thoughts?

** CHECK OUT MY PT GALLERY **
Old 22 Jan 2011, 01:08 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Can I re-paint the dash myself??

you sure can. the hardest part is getting all the panels off.
instead of painting tho, there is a plastic dye that would hold up a lot better.
then you probably wouldn't have to clear coat. do some research on plastic dyes. like everything, some are better than others.

and post pics of your finished products.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 01:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

either that or ask candyman about it.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 01:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Do a light sand on them to get the plastic to hold the paint, then there is a pre-paint spray for plastics that is a bonding agent, you use that next, then your paint, then clearcoat.

This is how I did my intake mani and other engine parts. You have to be VERY meticulous about making sure the parts are CLEAN!

Course, my intake manifold is done in hi-temp paint, 2 layers of bonding agent, 8 layers faux aluminum paint, 12 layers of clearcoat... only took two days...lol..
Old 22 Jan 2011, 02:17 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

only two days, nothing to it. Chrome your freaking awesome dude. That's really good advice too.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 03:28 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Can I re-paint the dash myself??

Hey their Guys,

I am thinking old XmasDVD is more talking about something like this, right?

If that is the case, it is a more complicated job than you may be willing to take on, and it really kinda is a bit beyond the average DIY project unless you have some decent skills using fiberglass, body fillers, tons of sanding preferably by machine over hand or you could be sanding for a week literally , and then for best results it really should be painted in a booth with a spray gun using a good acrylic enamel base over multiple coats of acrylic urethane clear. I have done several of these and it is a bit of a chore. All the material has to be stripped off the panel, and basically you build your own surface till its suitable for prep and proper paint, and baking in a booth for a nice high gloss finish which will then match your gauge cluster, and passenger air bag cover nicely like in the photo.

Of course if you just want to change the color and otherwise leave the material alone, then I totally agree you can dye it any color you choose without much problem. Just keep in mind it is always much easier going from darker to lighter rather than the other way every time.

If you were to have it done at a body shop, you would be looking somewhere in the neighborhood of around $300.00 - $400.00 and up depending on paint and so forth.

Another thing you have to consider although it is easily remedied, many people who have went ahead and painted their dash tend to regret it due to the glare coming off the dash hitting the windshield on a sunny day. For me I say simply get a dash mat for that and go with it, but ya know how it goes.

Another thing you could do that is actually kinda cool looking but I have only seen a couple of people do for some reason is to have your dash wrapped. Basically you can go to any place where they make those advertising vehicle wraps like on buses, trucks, and other forms of transportation media, and have them wrap your dash in whatever design or pattern you want. I looks pretty decent, very different, and you can also do other parts as well like your A Pillars, and so on. Here is an example.

Cost for Wraps can vary depending on what you want done and the complexity of the design s you would need to inquire for a quote, but thw wraps are about the quickest, and easiest way to cover your dash, it can be totally removed without any harm to your interior anytime, and to me has the potential to look pretty dang cool.

Anyways, should any of you really want me to do a full write up on getting messy with fiberglassing the dash, prepping, and painting and so on, please let me know and I will try to work one up, but keep in mind it is a long and complicated process for sure.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 22 Jan 2011, 08:10 am
Cool Cruiser

As always Candyman super great pictures and ideas. It never even occurred to me that you could paint the top of the dash. Love the wrap idea

Karen and Lil' Nilla
Old 22 Jan 2011, 02:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks everyone (esp Candyman) - not the whole dash just the parts in grey from the first image. Are the parts 'pop-off-able' or are there secret screws involved? Thanks for all advice and tips!!

Old 22 Jan 2011, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I did a vinyl wrap for the centre dash where the radio, etc is. Did a red tartan and it looked fantastic. Went to a local sign shop with a picture and asked them to make a sheet big enough to cover. It only cost about $40 or $50 I think. I was looking for a picture but I can't find any. I'm sure I must have taken a picture of it, because I certainly won't get one now.

The centre dash came off fairly easy with a bit of grunting, groaning and a few choice words, but not sure how the other pieces come off. Basically the centre piece you took off all the knobs and it popped. I want to do something eventually because the 2010 dash is all grey and looks real boring

Last edited by PiperGeorge; 22 Jan 2011 at 02:46 pm.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 03:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperGeorge View Post
I want to do something eventually because the 2010 dash is all grey and looks real boring
..exactly why i wanted to change mine.