PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Should I stuff it? Upgrading seats soon.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Mar 2011, 08:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Should I stuff it? Upgrading seats soon.

I am meeting with an upholsterer this weekend. Has anybody upgraded their seats to leather or added extra cushion? One idea he has is to remove the seat upholstery and add memory foam and replace the original fabric. I was thinking i would go one step further and order a custom PT leather seat kit. That might be going overboard but with a lower back problem, I want to make sure I do it right.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 03:18 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Should I stuff it? Upgrading seats soon.

memory foam is to die for. lol
Old 10 Mar 2011, 08:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

and put a heater in cause its cold in your part of the world I think
Old 10 Mar 2011, 02:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Wow, leather sucks in the winter and really sucks in the summer. Never have seen the appeal.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 03:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTMAN View Post
Wow, leather sucks in the winter and really sucks in the summer. Never have seen the appeal.
i concur.
about the only thing leather seats are good for, imho, is that lint and such things don't stick to them making them appear clean all the time.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

heated in the einter are pretty good summer well thats a diffrent animal
Old 10 Mar 2011, 05:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks everybody,
The guy is having me "practice" on different cushions on the outside of the seat covers to see if I feel better. I never liked leather either, but it seams it conforms to the nucks and crannies of our body better than the stiff cloth often used. They are heated already. My wife loves that part. To Urimashe: Do you have memory foam under leather seat covers? Also, what are you doing up at 3:00am lol.
Old 11 Mar 2011, 04:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

I upgraded my seats to leather (+ heated seats), and it's been great. As to why, I just got tired of the staining prevalent with the oem fabric, and these are waterproof and easy to clean.

I actually considered doing something like you're planning - carving out a "booster" pad out of memory foam - but I was a little concerned that the foam might not recover well once it was sealed in under the leather and heating pads. Tbh, it was a tight fit with the setup I went with, so I'm glad for the sake of my seat seams that I passed.

Who are you getting to do your leather, by the way?
Old 11 Mar 2011, 07:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have been looking at different leather seat manufacturers but do not know enough to make a decision. Any suggestions? Am I looking for a leather seat kit? I know I need about an 1 1/2 foam booster under the backpart of the seat to make me sit more horizontal, like a truck seat.

Also, do you know if the custom leather seat covers come with a little foam already on them. I would need something behind my back. Right know it feels like I am sitting against a piece of plywood. Memory foam might be good but if the seat covers have a layer of foam already, that probably would be all I need. You would think I was 100 years old the way I'm complaining, so let me say something positive. My PT's have given me so much enjoymentover the years. Also Kudos to all who keep this forum going. I really enjoy it and it has been extremely helpful to me.
Old 12 Mar 2011, 05:53 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Should I stuff it? Upgrading seats soon.

Hey Retroguy,

The Memory Foam on the Bolster is a very good idea in my opinion. I would also concur on going with the heated if not also the massage seats on the leather as well.

As for the material itself, it is in reality not so much a type of leather but rather a very high grade thick vynal as I am sure your upholstery guy will tell you. I would highly recommend going with someone like Katskinz who is very well known for very high end hydes as you won't be disappointed in the end. Otherwise I would go for a Mercedes or higher quality hyde which is a thicker material which will last you longer and give you less problem over time. Just my opinion but its up to you in the end. Either way make sure you follow my instructions for caring for the hyde outlined in the Detailing Section of this Forum to properly maintain it. Here is a Link.

Detailing Your Interior: Leather Seats

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing