PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Instrument Panel Removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Mar 2011, 09:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Instrument Panel Removal

Hey guys,

I have an 01 and I need to remove the instrument panel for painting purposes. I have already painted almost everything but the panel itself, as I understand the removal is quite long and complex. What is the procedure and are there any shortcuts? I have done quite a bit of interior work, so I do know my way around mostly.

Thanks!
Old 19 Mar 2011, 11:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Instrument Panel Removal

in the tech and performance section there's a "how to" thread. in that thread there's a post on "dash lamp" (removal or replacement) don't remember which.
that'll give you step-by-step instructions.
Old 19 Mar 2011, 11:59 am
Regular Cruiser

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I mean the piece that holds all of the instruments in and is below the center bezel. I have replaced my cluster lights before, but it looks as if, to remove this piece, every component has to come out (it's a giant piece of plastic).
Old 19 Mar 2011, 01:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

i guess i'm not getting what you mean. below the radio bezel?
Old 19 Mar 2011, 01:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

ok, think i got it. the piece directly under and around the radio, hvac controls, etc. same color as the glove box and lower steering wheel cowl.
if so, haven't a clue. i think when the glove box is out (easy to do) there might be screws holding the right side of the structure on. same with the steering wheel cowl. then once the center bezel if off, there might be additional screws holding it on.

wish i could be more help. good luck.
Old 19 Mar 2011, 02:10 pm
Banned

If you're changing the color of the whole panel as I did, then you're probably talking about the LARGE piece of plastic that stretches from door to door, on the botom of the panel. I pulled all of the surrounding pieces off and sprayed them separately. When it came to the large piece that you're talking about, I sprayed it in place. I literally made a tunnel of masking paper that protected the windshield, seats, floor, doors (with them open), etc., etc. I then did the same process that I did with the rest of the entire enterior. My interior origionally was the infamous "light taupe". No black or green anywhere. I pulled everything you could see and painted/dyed it black or green. I even installed the 80/20 black 60's muscle car carpet.

I wiped each piece down thoroughly with DX 330 or Sem's plastic prep. Then tack ragged. Then sprayed with either "Bulldog" or Sems plastic primer. If you use the Sem, you will need to immediately spray on your first light coat of color before the primer dries dries (soaks in). By doing this the color will soak in with the primer. This only applies if you are using a dye instead of a paint. I used the dye because it will actually soak into the plastic instead of setting on top as a paint does.

Here's a couple pics of my interior and an exploded view of the dash composition.

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plastic dash components.jpg (97.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 057 t-bar shifter.jpg (62.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 087 Both rears down.jpg (62.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 099 tailgate lamp.jpg (46.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 004RearBuckets.jpg (51.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg jt0025.jpg (72.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg jthatch01.jpg (71.4 KB, 43 views)
Old 22 May 2011, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was wondering the same thing how to remove that center piece. just curious if you ever found anything
Old 22 May 2011, 12:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogerty View Post
I was wondering the same thing how to remove that center piece. just curious if you ever found anything
Hi Fogerty,

I have not. As wwpptc did, I am looking to paint that piece. It looks as if the piece holds everything else in place, and removing it would require removing everything else on the dash.
Old 22 May 2011, 01:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

To take that center piece out, gently pull out the control for the windows. It just slides out after you gently pry it from all 4 sides. You'll see that it just comes out once you start.

Once that switch is out, unclip the two separate bunches of wires in the back of the switch so the switch comes off in your hands. Put it aside.

Look inside the hole and you'll see one phillips head screw. Take that out.

Pull the 4 knobs that control the air conditioning and flow of air. They just pull off.

Now, just gently pry around the whole outside of the piece that goes all around the radio, air controls. The whole center comes out in one piece.

The 4 control knobs come off separately, not like the picture.
That's it.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 22 May 2011 at 01:10 pm.
Old 22 May 2011, 01:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
To take that center piece out, gently pull out the control for the windows. It just slides out after you gently pry it from all 4 sides. You'll see that it just comes out once you start.

Once that switch is out, unclip the two separate bunches of wires in the back of the switch so the switch comes off in your hands. Put it aside.

Look inside the hole and you'll see one phillips head screw. Take that out.

Pull the 4 knobs that control the air conditioning and flow of air. They just pull off.

Now, just gently pry around the whole outside of the piece that goes all around the radio, air controls. The whole center comes out in one piece.

The 4 control knobs come off separately, not like the picture.
That's it.
Hi Crewzin,

Thanks for your response. Fogerty and I are talking about the entire instrument panel itself (the part below the piece you are talking about). Do you know if everything else needs to be removed to get that piece out?

Thanks for your help!