Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Roof fabric

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Mar 2011, 01:59 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: Roof fabric

that's kool man thanx for the info. the way u described it is the way it's discribed in that link above. i gotta run some ideas thru my head and then figure out what i want to do.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 06:56 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Roof fabric

Hey their WolfmanG,

Sorry I missed your thread here yesterday my man. Now if your really digging on a Flame Layout, you could always go with sculpting some out of high dens foam and incorporating a kind of 3D effect into your headliner design. The end result is something like this.

Here is the same idea built into some upholstery done for the door as well.

Or even just the Insert.

Something kinda cool and different anyway. As long as your careful, you can pretty much carve out any shape or design out of foam, sand it smooth and cover it over in your choice of material.

Of all the things to cover, the Headliner is probably one of the easier to do yourself. Just keep in mind that while my first choice for coolness is leather, leather is always a bit more tricky to work with as you need to stretch it fairly tight and work it a bit more to get things to fit, as well as leather is harder to work around a lot of tight or complex curves such as sculpted flames and so forth. Note, its not impossible as you can see from the door panel inserts above, but more complicated, and does require some form of heat, and muscle to work the material into submission, especially without wrinkles and imperfections.

Suede like I have showed you before in that PM a while back is fairly easy to work with as well as several other types of materials. Just make sure whatever you use that it is thick and durable enough to last long term, but not too thick so you are not able to work with it.

You could also as previously discussed dye your headliner which is a good viable option, however I do caution you if you chose this route, please be extra careful as especially the OEM Headliner is not a very durable material and can easily become frayed and/or damaged during the process.

The information from Mr. Mike is extremely well done and should provide a good base to work from however if you should for whatever reason run into a problem, I am sure Jerry has more than likely done several Headliners in his day as have I, and between the two of us, we should be able to get you back on the right track in no time. You know we got your back anytime no matter what for sure.

Please let me know if you need to kick around more ideas or anything as well anytime.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 31 Mar 2011, 12:38 am
Senior Cruiser

Yeah the flames on foam is easy to do. Heres my hood liner i made in about 1 hour. You would be surprised what i was quoted from trim shops to make this

I got the stuff and did it myself for around $15

On a side note (kinda) i located material very close to what i used for the wifes "sea theme" but this time its cotton. Gonna rip it out this weekend and recover it again, cant take the wrinkles the plastic stuff has now.

My rides: 2004 Almond GT, autostick - Only car shows, some weekends but with Stage1!
2003 cranberry 5 speed GT - Fishing with a sleeper Stage3 setup!

Her Ride: 2006 Electric Blue Touring, auto -Daily driver, car shows with tons of A/V!

Old 31 Mar 2011, 12:56 am
Veteran Cruiser

Damn guys the foam idea is freaking killer, but is there a certain type of foam i should use and where would i get it? like at a hobby store?
Old 31 Mar 2011, 01:56 am
Senior Cruiser

I got mine at an upholstery shop the first time . It was 1/4" thick and is denser than regular foam. I cut it out using razor blade at roughly 45 angle after i traced the pattern out.

Just picked up some today actually from a fabric store (along with the new material for wife headliner) but was actually higher there. Will post some pics this weekend when i do hers.

You can check with local shops and get some scrap pieces to practice with for free. As Candyman, the thicker the material the harder it is to work into the contour so get different material scraps to get a feel of it to.

Heres the type of foam i used: http://www.midwestfabrics.com/

But i paid less at local shop

My rides: 2004 Almond GT, autostick - Only car shows, some weekends but with Stage1!
2003 cranberry 5 speed GT - Fishing with a sleeper Stage3 setup!

Her Ride: 2006 Electric Blue Touring, auto -Daily driver, car shows with tons of A/V!

Last edited by xwing777; 31 Mar 2011 at 02:02 am.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 04:48 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Hey Guys,

The type of foam you want to use is called Polyeither High Density Foam, or more commonly known as "Closed Cell Foam" which should be available from most Fabric Supply Stores. The thickness kinda depends on how vivid you want your flames t look, and what type of material your going to be using. I usually will use either a 1/4" with like a two way stretch Suede which shows fairly well, and something up as far as a 3/4" for a material like Tweed, or Leather which can be much thicker and more durable, but harder to work with and doesn't like to show the curvature of the flames that well usually requiring a bit more depth to achieve the overall look. Basically the thicker the Foam, the more definition your flames will show. Also keep in mind that you can stack Foam together to create a better thickness as well so if the Store only has 1/4" Cell Foam, you could always stack it and get 1/2" - 3/4" by stacking them together with adhesive which works fine. Then simply trim out your design using a razor blade, or box cutter, and then if necessary you could take some sand paper or something and smooth everything out nice and clean. Remember you want it super smooth as anything that is left over that is not perfect will show through big time once the material goes up so beware. Also, be sure when cutting your Flames to cut the edges at a 45 degree angle so the material stretches over the layout better.

My personal choice for its ease f workability as you already know is two way stretch Suede which might be a specialty item especially if you may want a different or vibrant custom color and you might wind up having to order it if not available at your local Fabric Shop, r you don't find what your looking for. Then if they can't get it, stop by your local Upholstery Shop and see if they might be able to custom order something for you to your liking, and of course if nothing else, please let me know and I can see if I can get it as I have several good resources down here my way. Here are those Pic's again of the two way stretch Suede material used in my old friend Poi's ride again.

If you opt to do your Headliner on your own, please don't try using a spray adhesive like 3M Super 77 as its just not a strong enough adhesive and all your hard work will be sagging within a few days. I would go with at least 3M Super 90, or better yet if you possibly have access to an air compressor and an old gun, or even a cheap Harbor Freight Gun, I would better recommend seeing if you could maybe buy some good commercial spry glue from your local Upholstery Shop as it is just much better to work with a more professional grade adhesive if possible to assure the glue will last over a long period of time rather than working with Consumer lower grade materials especially when doing a Headliner which is prone to sagging anyway. Better safe than sorry if you are able t do so. If not then maybe either the Upholstery Shop might be able to point you in the right direction, or like I say at the very least 3M Super 90 and then be liberal with it to assure everything stays in place well.

The basic trick to doing the raised flames is, once you have the layout, and have it all cut out, trimmed, smoothed out, and all ready to go, then you want to test fit your Suede, Leather, or other Material over your Layout and rest of the headliner board to assure everything is going to fit properly. Remember you will need more material to stretch over the flame design as well so you are going to need to compensate and adjust a bit for that. You really want to wind up with about 1" over around all edges once your done if possible.

First after your Headliner is all clean and prepped, place your foam layout where you want it, make sure its perfect as you only get one shot at it. I usually will draw an outline so I know where to position it exactly. Next spray the back side down with adhesive, and re-apply the foam to where you want it to go, and let it set up for about 30 minutes or so before messing with it any further.

Next I get whatever I am using as my Headliner Material laid out and ready to go. I like to start with the flame layout in this case by starting dead center with the layout first. The reason for this is so you can work any wrinkles, or other imperfections outward towards the outer edges as your stretching the material over the flames as much as possible which allows you to better work the material and hopefully create a cleaner final product as if you do not leave room to work out the wrinkles and so forth, you simply will have nowhere to go when you have an issue. So I start in the middle of the flame layout, spray down a small workable section to start on with the adhesive spraying directly on both the layout, as well as the same section directly on the back of the Headliner material itself, and let both sit for approximately two minutes or until both become tacky.

Next start applying your Headliner Material to the Headliner. Be careful, work slow, and make double sure to press, stretch, and smooth everything as thorough as possible. The more time you spend on perfecting it, the better off it will come out. Its not rocket science, just time and patience to achieve a professional looking result. That's how I learned, by just picking things up and doing it till I got it right.

If you need any more help, would like me to try to do a better write up, or something, please let me know and I can see what I can put together for ya anytime. Man, these are the days I wish I was still either on road driving a Truck, or you guys lived a bit closer out this way so I could just jump in and do some of these cool things and give you guys a hook up or something. Their is just so much that can potentially be done, and here we are. Oh well, s be it. Its all good, right?

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Last edited by Candyman; 31 Mar 2011 at 06:26 am.
Old 01 Apr 2011, 12:42 am
Veteran Cruiser

yeah it's all good bro.
so would it be a good idea to go at it like vinyl work. you know with a heat gun and squeegee?
Old 01 Apr 2011, 05:49 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Hey my man,

Yep, anything is possible though vinyl is just a harder material to try to stretch that tightly around that many curves, but as long as you go "Nice and Slow" you should be okay.

With vinyl its easier with both the heat gun, as well as if you go by an Upholstery Store, they should hopefully have a series of these hard rubber rollers which are used to get that type of material to lay down better next to a lot of difficult sculpted corners.

Also like I had mentioned above, the thicker the material like vinyl, or leather, the thicker you should opt to make your flame layout for sure. I would again recommend at least 1/2" - 3/4" either Closed Cell Foam which has a good high density, or some people even use wood for their Layout as well to get its solidness and form.

Remember you want something like this:

Not something like this where you can barely see the end result.

And past that, make sure you find some really good adhesive so it doesn't come down the following week. That my friend is critical to a good job is good adhesive big time so don't skimp on that part of the project for sure.

Here is a quick Vid which is kinda not so good, but nonetheless gives you a good visual of how the 3D Flame Effect is done, and he is using vinyl as well.

And here is another kinda sorta boring Vid, but gives you a good working idea of how a Headliner is done from start to finish again to give you a better visual idea as well.

Other than that, as I always say, should you ever at any time ever have any questions, or need me for anything, I am always around and more than happy to try to help wherever I can anytime.

Last edited by Candyman; 01 Apr 2011 at 07:00 am.
Old 01 Apr 2011, 07:37 am
Veteran Cruiser

hey Candyman, what's shake'n bacon? Thanx for the vids. The over dramatic headliner repair reminded me of side car graphic's work. You set it up and then do half, then do the other half. The vid with Mr. T's lil brother what very interesting too. When i said vinyl work i was talking aout car vinyl, like my flames and carbon fiber lol. But thanx for the vid's anyways.
You mentioned stretching, how does the material stretch? does it need to be heated or does the glue help it stretch? That's why i said "heat gun". cuz with this other vinyl work i do, all i do is heat it then it stretches, you know what i mean? Thanx for everything. Always, your the best.
Old 01 Apr 2011, 11:59 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Hey their WolfmanG,

Oh dang man...as the light bulb finally goes on. LOL Doah, wrong vinyl.

That kind of vinyl your talking about can be done on almost anything, and should be little to no problem to pull off at all. Don't pay any attention to what I was saying on stretching, I was totally on a different page thinking about using like Headliner Material, Suede, or other similar materials, or like leather where you have to stretch the material to worl it smooth and without wrinkles, not doing a wrap, wrong stuff. Your talking about using your Body Wrap material for your headliner huh?

In that case, you already know what your doing pretty dang well with the vinyl already and ought t be able to handle a flame layout with lease. Not only do I think the idea of a Carbon Fiber Headliner would look pretty trick, doing so and creating a 3D flame effect on top of that ought to blow it out of the park for sure! At first glance it really should look like a totally custom made fiberglass molding which would just be sick as heck looking big time! The thought of using vinyl for a sculpted headliner is just a way sick idea and I have no clue as to why it never even occurred to me, just a sick idea man!

Anyways, like I said, now were on the same page finally. Cool idea, and I would love to see pics of that when you get to it big time.