PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Roof fabric

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2011, 07:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Roof fabric

Ok so i want to change the color of the fabric on my roof. I'm at a loss for words right now, so i'm sorry i didn't call it the right thing. so right now it's kinda like a light gray color. i want to make it darker. How hard would this be? How would i do such a thing? is it easy to change the fabric?
Old 28 Mar 2011, 07:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Roof fabric

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanG View Post
Ok so i want to change the color of the fabric on my roof. I'm at a loss for words right now, so i'm sorry i didn't call it the right thing. so right now it's kinda like a light gray color. i want to make it darker. How hard would this be? How would i do such a thing? is it easy to change the fabric?
I believe you are talking about your headliner rather than your roof, unless you have a vert.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 Mar 2011, 07:26 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Yeah,he's talking about the headliner.The best way would be to take it to an upholstery shop and have them put a new headliner in but it wont be cheap.I have used fabric paint on headliners on some of my old restorations and it works good but I dont think I would use it on my PT.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 07:47 pm
Banned

I used aerosol spray dye on my headliner, but I would recover it with black leather instead if I had to do it again. "I am to be lovink" the smell of leather every time I get into the PT. It's easy to do if you want to try it yourself. Mr. Mikes website has the complete instructions for that and MANY other interior mods. Click on Mr. Mikes Leather Upholstery for PT Cruiser, Fiero, Kit-Car, Camaro and Firebird and then on PT Cruiser, then "how to", then on headliner. Do yourself a favor and click on "seats" before you go to the "how to". When you're scrolling down and see one that looks interesting, just click on the seat picture, start scrolling and enjoy. The one called "Too Funny" is especially cool! The forth "Too Funny" pic down will make anyone into speed drool.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 28 Mar 2011 at 07:51 pm.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 08:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

thank you so much guys. That's exactly what i was talking about. but if i do decide to color it, should i take it off or paint it while it's still installed. or maybe i should just take it out anyways and re do it with the color i want. do you think it's hard to take out headliner?
Old 28 Mar 2011, 08:13 pm
Banned

Did you read my post and go to Mr. Mikes?

Jerry
Old 28 Mar 2011, 08:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
Did you read my post and go to Mr. Mikes?

Jerry
Look man, just cuz i wrote a book doesn't mean i like to read. lol j/k
i'm sorry i haven't looked into it yet. i'm gonna check it out right now.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 08:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

WOW! now THAT'S what i was looking for. Dude, your the best thank you so much.
I love this

but with these colors
Old 28 Mar 2011, 08:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

so i was looking for a flame pattern in the headliner fabric but i think i'm gonna custom one. MAN I LOVE THIS SH*T
Old 28 Mar 2011, 09:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Not hard at all. Remove the plastic pieces on the side, seat belt bolts (so plastic can come off) and its much easier to pull the door frame rubber loose at tops.

Fold seats down and lower the side towards passenger seat. Slide out through the rear. To do it right, peal off the headliner from the fiberglass the wire brush off the foam. Get contact glue if you have an old spray gun OR the 3M77 spray can glue. Then work the material from center to edges.

Heres the headliner in wifes car (that i was testing and will need to re-do) This material wont work (kinda figured beforehand) as it is plastic with a felt (think table cover) and wont hold up to the compound angles it needs to cover. When i installed it there were no wrinkles but less than an hour, the plastic pulled loose from the felt.

She is going for a dolphin/sea theme and finally tracked down some material thats close enough with what her "theme" to work so will be doing it again this weekend if it arrives in time.

I got regular color headliner material with foam all ready attached for less than $20. You should check if any shops in your area can get you enough (2 1/2 yards is plenty) before hand.