Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WolfmanG

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2011, 06:10 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default How To:2nd Gen Cluster & Pass Airbag Removal

So one of our fellow PTer's is going to be repainting his cluster & passenger side airbag covers. Since i was going to be stripping apart my dash i decided to take some pix and make this "how to" thread. Make sure you have time to do this if it's your first time. It took me about an hour to do all this, maybe even less but then again i was doing it at 2am. This was the first time i took off the pass airbag too. It's really easy. PT's are just one big lego, i guess that's why i love her so much. lol

REMEMBER TO DISCONNECTED THE BATTERY.
1. Remove the pillar on the driver and passenger side. get a good grip and pull towards the right for the driver side pillar. Pull to the left for the passenger side.

2. When the pillars are removed you can pull the dash cover. you can pull from where my hand is as or it maybe a lot easier to make your first pull from the VIN hole.

When you're pulling, if you have a problem with it, don't forget about the weather stripping.

3. When you're done with the dash go for the bottom panel under the steering wheel. Just pull down.

After that there's going to be three tabs. All you do is press down on them and then finish pulling the panel off.

4. Once you get the bottom panel off, you'll have access to two screws to take off the panel that holds the side mirror adjuster knob. Unscrew them and pull the panel towards you.

Once again, don't forget about the weather stripping.

5. When you get that panel off, you'll have access to one screw for the cluster bezel. If there's another screw, please forgive me, i must have lost it. When that screw(s) is out, just pull the bezel towards you.

6. If you just want to take off the face plate for tinting purposes or for anything else, i've circled the tabs in green. Just press then down and push them towards you. To continue taking out the cluster just unscrew the 4 screws that are circled in red.

once the screws are out, carefully pull the cluster towards you. There's going to be 4 connections in the back. They are color coded so it wont be that hard to put them back if you forget which one's which.

THAT'S IT FOR THE CLUSTER. NOW IT'S TIME FOR THE PASSENGER AIRBAG

1. You have three screws to remove on the top

2. Next you can move on to the lower right side panel after you take off the glove box. There's two screws to remove, which i circled in red. The green line represents where i pushed in on the glove box to let it drop down. Once the glove box is down, it come's right off.

3. Once that panel is off, you'll have access to one screw. To access the other screws you have to take off the "Oh sh*t bar" lol that's what me and my friends call it. The cover to the screw is circled in green. Get a small flat head screw driver and slip it in where the green arrow is pointing to. Once you get it in there just pull towards you. Do the same for the other side.

After taking off the covers just unscrew the bolts.

4. Now you're going to unscrew 2 nuts and 1 bolt for the airbag.
These nuts are located underneath the dash where the glove box used to be.

The bolt is located on top where the dash cover used to be.

5. With the "Oh sh*t bar" gone, you'll have access to the other 3 screws. Just unscrew them and carefully pull the airbag towards you.

6. There's going to be 2 connections for the air bag. Just push in where the arrows are pointing and pull them out. The picture show's what it look like after i took off the connections. These are color coded as well, just in case you forget which one goes where.

After that your done. And that's how you remove the cluster and passenger airbag.

I hope this helps.
Cruiszr likes this.

Last edited by WolfmanG; 31 Mar 2011 at 06:33 am. Reason: Adding dialogue
Old 31 Mar 2011, 06:36 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: How To:2nd Gen Cluster & Pass Airbag Removal

So after i took off the cluster, i was going to change the bulbs to led's. BUT GUESS WHAT? THERE'S NO FREAKING BULBS. The cluster already comes with led's. AINT THAT A B**CH. All that work for nothing. lol but then again if you check this out This is so Hot Rod maybe it wasn't all for nothing.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 06:41 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: How To:2nd Gen Cluster & Pass Airbag Removal

Thanks Danny,
Great job on the pics. I am definately a visual guy, so the pictures help. I have an autobody guy I know who is going to do the painting. He is charging me $125, which I think is reasonable,but i'm not sure he knows all the details of removing these pieces. He has an idea but i said i would research it for him. For that price I am still not sure if I am going to do it or he is going to do it.