PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Changing 2nd Gen map/dome lights to led's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2011, 01:51 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Changing map/dome lights to led's

Ok so there's a lot of stuff i had to learn the hard way. One of them was finding about what size led's fit. After waiting a month to get two blue led's from china i found out that they didn't fit. The size was right, 42mm, but the way they were made didn't make them fit. So i'm passing on my knowledge to all of you 2nd Gen'ers out there wanting to change your lights to leds. This may work for 1st gen's too but i don't know about the specifics on tho's lights. if your dome/map lights are part# 578LL then this thread applies to you.

ok so if you dome/map light festoons they may look like this but if they do then make sure and get the 36mm festoons. Even though our regular bulbs are 42mm, they wont fit. the red circle indicates what kind of festoon you may get. the green circle indicates the reason why you should NOT get 42mm's. 42's don't fit because of that lip. So get the size down from that. like i said, the 36's.

if you want to get the panel led's like this

then you dont have to worry about the size of the festoon, because it's spring loaded.

I also found that these wedge led's fit the cargo light. Make sure they are equevilant to part#168, these also work for the license plate light and the third brake lights.

EXAMPLES:
festoons

cargo light, license plate light, and third brake lights.

If you need any other advice on what led's fit where, please hit me up on a PM or click the link below and send me a request on facebook. I've changed all of my lights to led's of some type, blinkers, stop, reverse, dome, map, & cargo lights.

Last edited by WolfmanG; 05 Apr 2011 at 02:05 am. Reason: Title change
Old 05 Apr 2011, 05:05 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Changing 2nd Gen map/dome lights to led's

Good job bro. Looking good! I also did all my car with LED's including the reverse lights, fog lights, AC controls. I change all my interior lights to blue. Love LED's. LOL!!! You can see pictures in my profile.
Old 05 Apr 2011, 01:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I got 41mm LEDs for my 2010 and they seem to fit alright. I used them in the dome light and the map lights. Got them from China for next to nothing, but take forever to get here

Old 05 Apr 2011, 01:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Great topic! I want to change mine out too, thanks for doing the homework for me!!!
Old 05 Apr 2011, 01:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What's that bottom light? The one with the 2 reds on either side and single white in the middle
Old 06 Apr 2011, 04:10 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperGeorge View Post
I got 41mm LEDs for my 2010 and they seem to fit alright. I used them in the dome light and the map lights. Got them from China for next to nothing, but take forever to get here

I'm glad the 41's fit, but with the 42's i got, even tho the ends were all metal, they fit, and worked. The only thing was, the lip was making them uneven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Great topic! I want to change mine out too, thanks for doing the homework for me!!!
Your welcome bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperGeorge View Post
What's that bottom light? The one with the 2 reds on either side and single white in the middle
That's my third break light. I took off the red cover and that's what it looks like from behind the window.