Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
more LEDs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2011, 07:27 am
Regular Cruiser

Default more LEDs

OK folks, I'm here to ask to experts. Keep in mind I still haven't picked up my car yet, but the mind (such as it is) has been churning, and trying to come up with lighting options.

So far I've purchased an extra LED dome light that I'm going to mount in the rear cargo area to really light things up. I will be tying this into the dome light circuit, so that it'll come on whenever I open up the door.

I've also been kicking around the idea of accent LEDs. I like the sort of spot light LED that my Ram has, casting light on to the cup holders whenever the headlights are on. I wish to do something similar to the PT (Lil Belle).

Someone please correct me if I'm on the wrong page, or moving in the wrong direction.

Here's the plan. I want to mount 3mm LEDs to the underside of the storage cubby under the center dash (Lil Belle is an '07) so that it'll light up the cup holders and such. I'd probably scuff up the LED a bit, to make it a bit more muted (I've done this in the past, but more on that another time). I was also thinking that I'd add a light on each side to illuminate the foot wells. I don't want a lot of light in the foot wells, just enough where it's there, but not overpowering. Obviously I won't need all this lighting during the day, so I was planning on trying to tie it into the dash lights. Can this be done by tapping into the shifter console light?

I've worked as an electrician for many years, though I'm not driving trains, so that skill is a bit rusty, and I've been playing with automotive electrical as long as I can remember, especially lights. I tend to be technically oriented, and can read schematics if it comes to that.

Thanks everyone for hanging in there for my rant.

Exco

Bill
Old 05 Apr 2011, 09:45 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: more LEDs

Good idea. It will look great. Go to my profile and you can see how I did mines!!!!! I love LED's
Old 05 Apr 2011, 07:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Obviously I won't need all this lighting during the day, so I was planning on trying to tie it into the dash lights. Can this be done by tapping into the shifter console light?
I can't speak to that, but you might be able to use the wire for the parking lights to do the same.

This link is for a car alarm install for an 06-07, but it lists the parking light wire, along with a few other connections.
Old 06 Apr 2011, 04:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

i don't know about the shifter lights but i set up led strips on each side of the cabin where your feet are at. I connected them directly to the domes lights. When i ope the doors, the turn on.
DRIVER SIDE

PASSENGER SIDE

AND THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE NOW, WITH ALUMINUM FLOOR MATS.

And i'm pretty sure you have, but make sure and read up on my thread about cabin lights Changing 2nd Gen map/dome lights to led's you don't want to make the same mistakes i did.
Old 06 Apr 2011, 06:20 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks Wolfman... I read through your thread on the LEDs. I changed out all the lights (at least the interior ones) in my Ram, so I know where you're coming from.

Your lights look awesome! They're just a little more than what I've got planned. I was thinking more subdued. It may take me a bit, but I'll find what I'm looking for. I'll post pics when everything is finished.

I've also helped out a friend who wanted to change out all of his exterior lights in his Charger to LEDs. We ended up having to put a resistor on most of the exterior lights, due to "hyper flash" and a confused lamp indicator on the dash...

I haven't decided if I'm gonna change out my interior lights or now (that usually means that I'll do it eventually). I plan on doing some investigating this morning on if it's possible to tap in to the console lights or not. If it's too much like work, I will most likely find an alternative means of gaining power.

Exco

Bill
Old 06 Apr 2011, 08:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: more LEDs

I have 2 sets of interior 7 color led kits in my car. I have a total 8 tubes and 8 directionals..check out my interior pics of my pt when you get the chance...
I think they are awesome I have a underbody kit + wheel well kit as well..yeah I glow lol..good luck and post pics when youre done..
Old 06 Apr 2011, 03:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Location: Centralia, Washington ( dead center between Seattle + Portland )

Ok wolf, your the LED expert ? I have a project for ya =)

I wanna Blue light my inst. panel, and Green light a few extra spots here and there

I was thinking a single Green inbetween cupholders, maybe a few in the back near Hatch hinge area. and either side of the rear single cup holder.

Hit me with your best shot =P

I picked up 3 of these from Radio shack .. only 1.99ea.

Figured it would go good on the cup holder spots
Old 07 Apr 2011, 04:01 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrhera View Post
Ok wolf, your the LED expert ? I have a project for ya =)

I wanna Blue light my inst. panel, and Green light a few extra spots here and there

I was thinking a single Green inbetween cupholders, maybe a few in the back near Hatch hinge area. and either side of the rear single cup holder.

Hit me with your best shot =P

I picked up 3 of these from Radio shack .. only 1.99ea.

Figured it would go good on the cup holder spots
That sounds like a good idea. if you can take out the center consol where the cup holders are, that would be a great place to put them. As for your cluster, if that's what you were talking about, if you have a first gen then you can go with a twist lock led. equivelant to part # pc74. if you have a 2nd gen, then forget about it. the cluster has built in led's. Like i said on my other thread, i had to find out the hard way on that. Luckily our pt's are just one big lego set, so you should'nt have any probs taking apart what you need.

Exco, i understand what you want to do. I know you've been an electrician for many yrs so i have faith in what your doing. Since i have no electrical background i'd probably just tint the light covers so the led's aren't that bright. Sides i love working with vinyl, so i'd probably do that anyways. Hell, look at my headlights. lol. They are the perfect example of what i'm talking about.

Last edited by WolfmanG; 07 Apr 2011 at 04:04 am. Reason: misspelling & additional sentence
Old 07 Apr 2011, 01:20 pm
Young Cruiser

Location: Centralia, Washington ( dead center between Seattle + Portland )

I found these ... seem to match your description. Can you verify ? and how many are needed for back of cluster ? 4 normally right ?

T1.5 LED Twist Lock Lamp Specifications

Old 07 Apr 2011, 03:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrhera View Post
I found these ... seem to match your description. Can you verify ? and how many are needed for back of cluster ? 4 normally right ?

T1.5 LED Twist Lock Lamp Specifications

Yes tho's are it. but i think there's about 6 or 7 in the back. I'll do some more research for you when i get to work. I go in less then 2 hrs from now. I'll have your answer tonight.