Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Itsy Bitsy Tini Wini Chrome Mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Apr 2011, 07:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Itsy Bitsy Tini Wini Chrome Mod

This may sound silly but I need to change something in my interior. Between the front cupholders of my 2010, as well as most 2nd generation cruisers there are small useless tiny silly weird (insert your adjective here) coin slots.
They become a breeding ground for sludge and other nasty things and impossible to clean. I want to cover it forever with a small piece of chrome or something. I am not sure where to purchase cuttable chrome material to cut in the shape of the center piece of the cupholders. (And I am not sure if cuttable is a word)
int.JPG
Old 14 Apr 2011, 07:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Itsy Bitsy Tini Wini Chrome Mod

You could fill the slots with coins to stop dirt from getting in there but that might attract some attention that you weren't looking for.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 07:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

That is actually a logical solution. Although I work at a residential treatment center for teens with behavioral issues/conduct disorder. Many people who work there don't want the kids to know what car they drive. "Like they can hide that". My philosophy- Build a positive relationship with the kids and let them know what car you drive. 11 years with no issues yet. Oddly most teens there love the Cruiser.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 07:30 pm
Banned

Just buy a roll of the silver a/c duct tape that you can find at most hardware stores. Please note this is NOT regular duct tape, it is a silver metal type tape. Almost shiney like chrome and could be used for several interior mods in our PTs. For your coin holders, just make a pattern from paper and then transfer to the tape and then apply. For the more anal here you could fill the the coin holders first, sand and then apply the tape for a smoother finish.

Jerry
Old 14 Apr 2011, 08:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I don't own a newer cruiser so, I may be way off here. It looks like that is a flat surface.?.? If so, take several pieces of masking tape and just keep placing it over the area you want covered, after it is several layers thick, run an x-acto type knife arund the cup holders to trim the tape to size, after it is trimmed to size remove it. This is now your template. You can use it to transfer the shape to whatever material you would like. My suggestion would be to take your template to a glass shop and have them cut it out of mirrored plexi.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 09:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Craft stores sale tooling or embossing foil. [Aluminum sheet are a little thicker and stronger] It cuts with scissors [not the wifes good ones]. You can score it and fold it to get a nice edge or wrap it around heavy card stock. To get a pattern or logo into it is easy. I don’t know what craft stores you have near you. But it might be worth a look. It’s only a couple of dollars for a small piece.
Good luck.

wwpptc Idea-
I just look at a roll of heat tape I have and "heat tape around card board" would be quick and easy.

Last edited by GinPa; 14 Apr 2011 at 10:07 pm.
Old 15 Apr 2011, 04:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

all very good ideas. One thing i can add is what ever you do, DO NOT use chrome vinyl. You will not like the out come, trust me, i had to learn the hard way.
Old 15 Apr 2011, 05:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Itsy Bitsy Tini Wini Chrome
Ah was someone talking about me again!??!
Old 15 Apr 2011, 05:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

These are great ideas. I'll look into which one is best for me. I will make a template. I want it to look factory.