PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Instrument Panel Bulb Replacement

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 May 2011, 06:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Instrument Panel Bulb Replacement

Hi everyone. I have a '03 PT Cruiser GT and was wanting to replace the 6 stock bulbs in the instrument panel with LEDs. I know how to remove the dash to get into it. Can remove the 6 bulb holders by turning them half a turn and them coming out. My problem, and I'm sure is something simple that I'm overlooking, is how to get the bulb out of the holder? I see there are 2 black tabs (one on each side of the bulb), and 2 gold connectors or whatever you call them (one on each side). What do I need to do to pop the bulb out? Thanks in advance for reading this and any info.
Old 08 May 2011, 07:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Instrument Panel Bulb Replacement

Rocketman has done this and posted a guide somewhere on the forums. The search feature is your friend, and I'm sure he'll pop in to give you some advice.

Old 08 May 2011, 08:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

what have you done to try and take'em out. have you tried pulling them, wiggling them, or what?
Old 08 May 2011, 09:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've tried to pull them straight out and , also, wiggling them. I've replaced headlight, foglight, taillight, dome light bulbs etc on the PT with no problem. Majority of them just pull straight out. Not sure if these do the same. Just don't want to break them if I happen to be doing something wrong. Even the Haynes PT Cruiser manual only says to turn them clockwise a little and pull the socket holder out and replace by doing the opposite. Nothing about the actual bulb removal. It tells to pull the bulbs directly out on all the other bulb replacements.
Old 08 May 2011, 09:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by intim3 View Post
I've tried to pull them straight out and , also, wiggling them. I've replaced headlight, foglight, taillight, dome light bulbs etc on the PT with no problem. Majority of them just pull straight out. Not sure if these do the same. Just don't want to break them if I happen to be doing something wrong. Even the Haynes PT Cruiser manual only says to turn them clockwise a little and pull the socket holder out and replace by doing the opposite. Nothing about the actual bulb removal. It tells to pull the bulbs directly out on all the other bulb replacements.
yeah i know all about that. I read over that section a few times to see where the lights were, then i come to find out that my 2nd gen has built in LED's, aint that a b*tch. lol but maybe it has something to do with the socket, maybe you use the cluster socket to pull the bulb, you know what i mean?
Old 09 May 2011, 10:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I finally got around to locating the spare instrument panel bulbs that I picked up at the auto salvage yard and was able to find the answer to your question.
The bulbs pull straight out but are (this one was) very tight. I tried pushing through the small hole in the base of the plastic holder, tried bending the brass tabs, tried wiggling and levering the bulb out...
...I am attaching a photo showing the base and bulb after removing. Just pull them out.
Don't know how you will convert these to LED; certainly you would need to mount the LED bulbs paying attention to + and - polarity.
Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intim3 View Post

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 10:00 am.
Old 10 May 2011, 07:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Here is when I did mine! Let me know if you need any help!

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...-albums38.html
Old 10 May 2011, 07:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys for the helpful information and photos. I was thinking that they would just pull straight out but they are in there tight and I thought I would ask before I attempted to really pull them hard and mess something up if I had been doing it wrong. Will attempt to replace them tomorrow. Thanks again guys!
Old 15 May 2011, 07:50 pm
Young Cruiser

I just did mine today and they do pull straight out. Some were tight, some were easy.

Good luck!
Old 16 May 2011, 05:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Appreciate the helpful info. Presently, is in ship just getting some warranty work, then will try again on replacing the bulbs. Now, that I've heard from helpful people on here on how to remove them, I feel more confident in doing so. I thought they might just pull out, but since they were a little hard, didn't want to make a mistake and break something just because I assumed something. Thanks again.