PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A Guide to Wrapping with Vinyl

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Aug 2011, 09:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: A Guide to Wrapping with Vinyl

If you need a template, then use a tape measure (dressmaker's kind is flexible to match curves) to get the measurements you need.

Are you using a hair dryer to warm the vinyl as you apply it?
Old 10 Aug 2011, 10:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Cool Re: A Guide to Wrapping with Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeCantSeeYou View Post
If you need a template, then use a tape measure (dressmaker's kind is flexible to match curves) to get the measurements you need.

Are you using a hair dryer to warm the vinyl as you apply it?

You can't Heat the Diamond Plate Vinyl to make it Flexible, because just like Chrome Vinyl, you can only really use it on Flat Surfaces, it just won't bend or anything like other Vinyls; however, I can still use it to make my own Scuff Pad for my Back Bumper and maybe use it on other Parts of my Cruiser that aren't very Curvy. For my Rear Bumper, I need to Cut Out a Piece that is 50" x 4 1/2" and to make it look more like the Scuff Pad you can Buy from my Friend Maggie, I'll use a Coffee Can as a Template at the Ends to Round it off...

But as far as my Interior Trim goes, I just Ordered some Flexible 3D Carbon Fiber Vinyl in Red, 5' of it, so not only am I gonna make some Eyelids for my Cruiser out of it, but since it is Flexible, especially when Heated, I can not only use it on my Fuse Box, but Steering Column, Glove Box, if I have enough and maybe my Steering Wheel, if I can figure out how to do that, like the Spokes and Center of my Steering Wheel, but we'll see once I have it...
Old 09 Dec 2013, 03:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Here's my gas tank cover in trim brite "real carbon fiber" vinyl from the auto parts store.

and a larger shot showing the flaws under the body line but I was in a hurry & due to rain coming I didn't want to rock no gas lid LOL so I will be re-wrapping it when time permits (this was easy but a pain due to the contour of the lift lip on it)

Also a word of advice is to make sure if you're doing 2 pieces of parts to kind of make sure the carbon fiber is flowing the same direction for example .... I got this idea from the person who wrapped the chrome door handles on here & if you do them at different angles or directions they may look really odd LOL. Hope this info & pics are helpful

Last edited by cruiser_noob01; 09 Dec 2013 at 03:16 am.
Old 11 Dec 2013, 11:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_noob01 View Post
Here's my gas tank cover in trim brite "real carbon fiber" vinyl from the auto parts store.

and a larger shot showing the flaws under the body line but I was in a hurry & due to rain coming I didn't want to rock no gas lid LOL so I will be re-wrapping it when time permits (this was easy but a pain due to the contour of the lift lip on it)

Also a word of advice is to make sure if you're doing 2 pieces of parts to kind of make sure the carbon fiber is flowing the same direction for example .... I got this idea from the person who wrapped the chrome door handles on here & if you do them at different angles or directions they may look really odd LOL. Hope this info & pics are helpful
i see your warp lines and bubbles. hopefully when you have more time you can do it right.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 01:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Woodman,
Any tips on rlwrapping the center (radio) bezel on 1st gens?
I tried it last night and to no luck around the top. How much you charge me to wrap it?
Old 14 Dec 2013, 02:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_noob01 View Post

Take a pin and put a hole in the vinyl at one edge of the bubble and rub bubble towards that hole. should disappear.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Dec 2013, 01:16 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappasmurf View Post
Woodman,
Any tips on rlwrapping the center (radio) bezel on 1st gens?
I tried it last night and to no luck around the top. How much you charge me to wrap it?
let me know what color and i'll give you a quote.
Old 16 Dec 2013, 01:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Black Carbon Fiber. The matte kind, not the shiny crap. Just like what you used in your pictures on the rear pillars
Old 16 Dec 2013, 01:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappasmurf View Post
Black Carbon Fiber. The matte kind, not the shiny crap. Just like what you used in your pictures on the rear pillars
ok i gotcha. it's been a long time since i've wrapped anything but i'm a perfectionist so i'll make sure there's no warp lines or bubbles.
Old 16 Dec 2013, 01:43 am
Cool Cruiser

Roger that! How much we talking?