Advertisements
A Guide to Wrapping with Vinyl

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 May 2011, 02:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default A Guide to Wrapping with Vinyl

Ok so I've had a few people ask for help with wrapping so i'd figure i'd make this guide. This will have video's that helped me learn how to wrap and a few tip's and opinions of my own.
First off, when i started i watched these vid's and they helped me a lot. i even emailed decalfx telling them thanx for posting the vid. They responded with "Your welcome". lol I'd never buy from them tho, cuz metro is way cheaper. lol
1st things 1st. Make sure and get yourself a nice heat gun. You can use a blow dryer but you won't really get the result you need. 2nd, you'll need an exacto knife or some razor blades. 3rd, get a plastic squeegee, like the one's they use in the vid's, and some paper towels. I always use glass cleaner to clean off the surfaces, but what ever you want to use to clean the surface would be fine. Once you clean the surface, get some masking tape and tape it to random area's on the surface. If it sticks, you're good to go, if not, clean it again.
i used these two to help me with all of my internal wraps

here's some other useful vid's.

I used this vid's for lens wrapping, they're all the same but i watched each of them over and over again.

as for the squeegee's and exacto knife's i got some from ebay, but honestly, i keep going back to my razor. I'm just more comfortable with it i guess, always have been, always will be. if you want the one's i got just let me know and i'll send you a link for them.

in the vid's with the CF vinyl he trims the extra vinyl at the edge of the item. Personally i tried that and this happened

the vinyl started to retract on me and make lifts. so from then on i started pulling the vinyl as far over and past the edge as a i could like this

now, if you want the texture of whatever it is your wrapping to come out then you can do what i call texturizing. after the item is finished run the heat gun over the surface for about 30 seconds. The texture will start to show but if you want it to show more, then carefully pat the surface. Be careful, it's gonna be REALLY hot, so try to do it as the best you can. if you do then you'll end up with a result like this, if you can tell from the pic.

see how it looks like if there's wrinkles, that's the texture.

Another thing like to do is what i call "burning the edges". once everything is set in place and doesn't look like it's gonna retract, then i run the heat gun over the edges and press down on them. I found that it will help the vinyl NOT retract.

One thing i found that helps with wrapping something is to wrap the entire face of the surface, smooth that out first and then work on the edges. It will definitely help. I'll try to take some pix and post'em.

When ordering vinyl, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE order sample's first. I promise you wont regret it. i've made so many mistakes with metallic based vinyl that i don't want anyone to go through. for example, i had plans of wrapping my side mirrors in chrome vinyl, then i found out that it wasn't meant to be stretched or heated. once you heat it, it loses it's glossiness and becomes matte. Here's two examples of what i mean. the first one is chrome vinyl and the 2nd is fine brushed aluminum.
left side is heated, right side is not

the corner is heated and the rest isn't

Also, because vinyl retracts don't ever think you've wasted a whole sheet. if it's crumpled up, just try to unfold it as best as you can and then shoot it with the heat gun, trust me, it'l go back to it's original form. might not be to perfect but at least you wont have to cut another piece. like this
CRUMPLED

UNFOLDED

RETRACTED

One thing about the sqeegee's is that some of them are sold with felt at on of the ends. I say screw that, i can buy two for the price of one of tho's, or i could just make one, which i did. I took one of my free squeegee's i got from metro and a piece of felt i ordered as a sample swatch from ebay and made my own.
got the felt and sprayed it down with some very strong spray glue and glued the felt to the end of the squeegee. then i just cut off the extra felt that was hanging past the sides and there it is. only cost me a $1 for the felt swatch.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask, or if you want me to wrap something for you let me know, i'm always on.

Made this video for Bryan
Dazzaman likes this.

Last edited by WolfmanG; 06 Oct 2011 at 04:53 am. Reason: added a paragraph and a sentence
Old 27 May 2011, 06:55 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: A Guide to Wrapping with Vinyl

sweet, now hopfully i can do some test wraping, you should do your own vid wolf!
Old 27 May 2011, 06:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i want to but i don't know if i can have someone there holding the camera while i do it. I wrap when i get home from work, which is after 230 am. but i'll see if i can position the camera to make my own vid.
Old 28 May 2011, 03:17 am
Cool Cruiser

that would be sweet
Old 28 May 2011, 08:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by urimashe View Post
that would be sweet
yeah it would. I've been trying to think of ways on how to set up my camera so i can get it done. I just have to try a few things
Old 06 Aug 2011, 01:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hi all members.. i just joined this forums....hope that i find this forum as great community...
Old 06 Aug 2011, 04:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Please go to the "Welcome New PT Cruiser Members" on the first section of this forum to introduce yourself. Also please don't advertise in your signature. Do you own a PT Cruiser?
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 09 Aug 2011, 06:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: A Guide to Wrapping with Vinyl

As you know Buddy from my Facebook, I have some Diamond Plate Vinyl I Plan to use on Parts of my Cruiser, but I have no Idea how to start even Making Templates for the Parts I want to Cover and as you know, Diamond Plate Vinyl isn't very flexible at all, so I can only really use it on flat surfaces with minor curves, so I dunno where to start here, except I have my Fuse Box Cover next to me and I'm gonna try and Trace it, then Cover it with the Diamond Plate and we'll see how that goes, cuz I have A LOT more I want to do, like my Glove Box, my Arm Rest maybe, Parts of my Engine and if I can Cut Out the same Shape, I'd like to Make my own Back Bumper Scuff Pad out of it, but I guess I'll have to see how doing my Fuse Box comes out first, lol.
Old 09 Aug 2011, 09:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparHemiPower View Post
As you know Buddy from my Facebook, I have some Diamond Plate Vinyl I Plan to use on Parts of my Cruiser, but I have no Idea how to start even Making Templates for the Parts I want to Cover and as you know, Diamond Plate Vinyl isn't very flexible at all, so I can only really use it on flat surfaces with minor curves, so I dunno where to start here, except I have my Fuse Box Cover next to me and I'm gonna try and Trace it, then Cover it with the Diamond Plate and we'll see how that goes, cuz I have A LOT more I want to do, like my Glove Box, my Arm Rest maybe, Parts of my Engine and if I can Cut Out the same Shape, I'd like to Make my own Back Bumper Scuff Pad out of it, but I guess I'll have to see how doing my Fuse Box comes out first, lol.
Don't worry too much about a template. You're better off working with a sheet that overhangs the item you're wrapping. It's easier and cheaper to trim it after it's covered than to start over with a bigger sheet of vinyl. Watch the videos that Wolfman posted at the beginning of this post.
Old 09 Aug 2011, 11:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Post Re: A Guide to Wrapping with Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeCantSeeYou View Post
Don't worry too much about a template. You're better off working with a sheet that overhangs the item you're wrapping. It's easier and cheaper to trim it after it's covered than to start over with a bigger sheet of vinyl. Watch the videos that Wolfman posted at the beginning of this post.

Yeah, but the Problem is, the Diamond Plate Vinyl isn't the least bit Flexible, you can only use it on smooth flat surfaces, so if I don't make a Template of some kind, it won't work.

In fact, I already tried Wrapping my Fuse Box Cover and RUINED some of the Vinyl already, because it just wouldn't lay right or anything, so I dunno what to do with it, because I do want to Cover my Fuse Cover, but can't figure a way how to?