Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By WolfmanG
  • 1 Post By WolfmanG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2011, 09:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default How To: Wrapping With Vinyl

ok i couldn't make a vid cuz my battery was dying last night on my camera but i was able to take a few pix to do a walk through on how i wrapped my rear passenger side seat belt pillar. my steps will be after i've cleaned the pillar.

1. unroll some of your vinyl and place the object on it. make sure you cut enough to have the vinyl overlap the edges by an inch or so, and enough to go past the top and the bottom as well.

2. After you cut the piece you need, lay the vinyl flat with the sticky side up. then lay the face of the object on the vinyl. Once you do that, then wrap the vinyl over the edges. don't worry about the front side yet.

3. Next what you want to do is start from one side then work your was to the other side. Don't worry about the top and bottom of the object, that comes later. first start off by running your finger down the center of the object and then get your squeegee and work your way down the side. while your doing that you will get some lifts, all you have to do is heat the vinyl and pull.

4. Once you get everything smoothed out on that side, take the vinyl over the edge. get your heat gun and shoot the edge pulling the vinyl down as you heat it. do small sections at a time. once your done with the heating and pulling, run your finger down the edge of the object to get a good seal.

5. Now you can move on to the other side. working from the center to the side. pulling and heating and using the squeegee to smooth out the wrinkles or lifts

6. Now it's time to move on to the top and bottom of the item. Start off at one corner. heat the vinyl at that corner, pull and pinch. as before work from one side to the other. if you want to get rid of lifts, just heat and pull.

Your vinyl may be a little stubborn when it comes to corners. All you have to do is heat and press down.

do this for all corners.

7. once you're done with the corners you'll have some trimming to do at the corners. just trim a little bit just in case the vinyl retracts.

8. Now it's time to burn the edges. little by little heat small areas of the edges and press down as hard as you can. Be careful, it'll be really hot. If your heat gun has two settings, use the hottest one when burning the edges. only heat the area for about 5 seconds then press down. if you heat the area to long you'll notice the vinyl start to bubble, and sometimes, it'll even rip.
see how flat the vinyl is before it overlap the fins on the pillar.

if you encounter some thing like this, you can either burn the vinyl or just cut it inside the corners of fins like this

9. When your done with all of that you can work on any protruding objects on the object. if you have any holes that need to be wrapped, use this video to help get an idea on how to cut the vinyl for the hole.
heat the area around the hole and use your squeegee to help you flatten out the vinyl.

AND THAT'S IT, YOU'RE DONE.
At this point, if you want to texturize the object then you can. just run your heat gun over the face of the object and press down to bring out the texture. if not then just reinstall.

Thanx for taking time out to read this. Remember if you need any help you can hit me up on facebook or you pm here. If you want me to wrap something for you i can do that too.
NitroPT and Bugkiller70 like this.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 01:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: How To: Wrapping With Vinyl

Looks good. Might have to look for a couple of small pieces to wrap. Have you ever wrapped tail lights? If so, how did it hold up?
Old 01 May 2013, 07:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: How To: Wrapping With Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit View Post
Looks good. Might have to look for a couple of small pieces to wrap. Have you ever wrapped tail lights? If so, how did it hold up?
have i ever wrapped tail light, pshhhhh, who is this guy. lol jk i wrapped tail lights for another user on the site and i've wrapped my stock and aftermarket tails and the vinyl holds up fantastically.
randyincctx likes this.
Old 06 Apr 2014, 05:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: How To: Wrapping With Vinyl

Danny,since you created this thread,and have alot of wrapping experience.....I'm gonna have to assume you've seen/heard about this(showed @ SEMA 2013),and your just keeping it a secret!
Velvet Cars Deluxe Vehicle Wrap
New Velvet Colored Vinyl Wraps Available by Velvet Cars

Hmmmm.....Dash,Console,Whole Car?!