Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need advice on interior detailing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jun 2011, 06:17 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Need advice on interior detailing.

Let's face it. The interior in some of our PT's are not the highest quality material. Back in the day we had one product, Armour All, and we used it on everything (for better or worse). My bezels are glossy plastic and some are not. My dash is more rough with a flat finish. And some parts are chromed plastic. I feel I need a different product for each section.
Old 04 Jun 2011, 07:08 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Need advice on interior detailing.

I just wax the chrome and painted surfaces and everything else gets Armour All.I have thought about taking the dash pad out and sanding it smooth because I really dont like that surface they used on it.I would probably have to use filler to get it smooth and paint it so I dont know if it will ever get done.
Old 04 Jun 2011, 07:13 am
Cool Cruiser

Could always look into a dash mat, no? Seems to be something of a variety out there, reasonably priced.
Old 04 Jun 2011, 08:19 am
Regular Cruiser

I am not partial to the dash either. It's a trap for dirt, dust and cleaners. I wish it was stainless steel. Of course you could probably fry an egg on it and the glare would make it a death trap. I'm will look into the dash mats. Thanks
Old 04 Jun 2011, 11:31 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Need advice on interior detailing.

Hey their Retroguy,

As for your dash and other related plastic components, what I use and recommend is a good Water Base Dressing. Armour All is fine but its an Oil Base Dressing which is very well known for attracting dirt and dust as where Water Base will not. If anyone has ever put Armour All on their tires and then driven down a dirt road, you know what I mean by attracting dust. Your tires will go from black and shiny to a yellowish brown in nothing flat.

Here is a Link to some decent Water Base Dressing from Meguiar's Detailer Line. Anywayz here is the Link.

Meguiars Water Based Dressing 32 oz.

And if you really want to go all fancy you can also get a spray bottle which is already marked for this product as well.

Meguiar's Water Based Dressing Bottle 32 oz.

The Water Base is not sticky or greasy like some other Solvent or Oil Base Dressings can be. If you like a gloss to your plastics, then you can use it straight from the bottle. If you don't like gloss and just want a nice sheen, then mix a bottle 50% chemical and 50% distilled drinking water. If you use the mix make sure to shake well before use as the chemical is heavier than the water and sometimes can sink to the bottom if let sit for a few days without usage which is very common to most related products.

As for application always make sure your dash and other plastic areas are completely clean and wiped down first. Next you can use either a foam wax applicator pad, or a clean microfiber rag folded into four. Try to avoid using terry cloth as it can leave lint behind and make a mess.

Spray the dressing to one side of the applicator or microfiber and apply the dressing to all your interior components dull or shiny except your steering wheel, and brake, clutch, or gas pedal as this can be a potentially dangerous hazard.

Always spray your dressing onto your towel or applicator away from any glass to avoid overspray. Just simply wipe everything down to a nice shine and your good to go. The product should absorb into the plastic with no need to wipe off any excess chemical.

For hard to reach areas like tight corners, vents, and other areas which its almost impossible to reach, or if you have inconsistent gloss on any of your interior, I always like to go back over everything with either a god soft detail brush, or a 2" one coat paint brush which works just as well, and should leave you with a nice clean interior for sure. Here is a link to a good Boars Hair Detail Brush which have used. It is ultra soft and works well, or if you really want to get into it, I like to use higher end women's make up brushes which are best for applying and evening chemicals, but also more expensive to buy. ANyway here is the Boars Brush for ya.

Buff & Shine Boar's Hair Interior Detail Brush

As for chrome plated plastic, you can either use plastic polish specifically designed for this type of material, or just wax it. The polish will remove small scratching and minor imperfections and leave a level or protection. Here is a link to some Plastic Polish.

Meguiar's M10 Clear Plastic Polish

Other than that, you should be good to go. As always should you have any more questions I will be around and more than happy to try to help wherever I can anytime.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 04 Jun 2011, 07:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

[QUOTE=Candyman;364882]Hey their Retroguy,

Buff & Shine Boar's Hair Interior Detail Brush

QUOTE]

Thanks Candyman. I think that product was just what was looking for. I ordered it,with the bottle and sprayer also.