Advertisements
Interior Noise Control

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WolfmanG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2011, 08:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Interior Noise Control

This is my first shot at this, as I'm new to the form, so I hope I have the correct thread.
I reciently purchased a 2009 base PT and I'm sure most of you know its like riding in a tin can, so I have a few questions.
!. I want to add noise control material to the interior, so what should I look for to remove the front seats (air bags, etc.). Problims, Precautions.
2. How do I remove the headliner,and keep it in one peace.
3. With the vast experience out there what is the opinion of the best material to use for interior noise control. There are so many different types and brands of stuff to use I don't know where to start, so your help would truly be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for the help I know I'll get
Bogie
Old 11 Jun 2011, 08:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: Interior Noise Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
This is my first shot at this, as I'm new to the form, so I hope I have the correct thread.
I reciently purchased a 2009 base PT and I'm sure most of you know its like riding in a tin can, so I have a few questions.
!. I want to add noise control material to the interior, so what should I look for to remove the front seats (air bags, etc.). Problims, Precautions.
2. How do I remove the headliner,and keep it in one peace.
3. With the vast experience out there what is the opinion of the best material to use for interior noise control. There are so many different types and brands of stuff to use I don't know where to start, so your help would truly be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for the help I know I'll get
Bogie
Welcome to the site. Not kool to bash your baby like that but she's your's and not mine lol but for headliner removal check this out MrMikes PT Headliner as for making things quite, i'll forward this to Candyman and SergeantPtCruiser to see if he has any suggestions.

Last edited by WolfmanG; 11 Jun 2011 at 10:51 pm. Reason: added a name
Old 11 Jun 2011, 08:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

also, you'll be amazed at how easy the interior comes off. it's like driving around in a big lego car lol
randyincctx likes this.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 10:11 pm
Banned

First make sure your sound isn't due to something else. I have a 2001 PT, and it's not loud. There might be something in your engine you might want to look at....

However;

If you were Expecting the PT to be as quiet as an Infinity/Lexus/Mercedes you are mistaken.

Well, you going to have to do a Cost Bennett analysis.

-

One idea is to add sound proofing like Dynamat or a generic version on all doors, on the Hood, and the Trunk.

That will cost about $600-$1000 in materials

--

Another option is to re-discover your passion for music, and get a system that will play quality music way above the backround noise.

A good subwoofer, and a Ipod might be good enough to over power that noise. But if your a talk radio guy, it wont work.

-

MY 2001 is very quiet. If your 2009 is loud there might be a mechanical error. If not; and it sounds like a 2009 should, and it is still loud; well, you shouldn't have bought a PT Cruiser.

PT Cruisers are very nice cars; but are not as "quiet" as Luxury cars.

Hopefully you don't expect a Dodge Neon to be as quiet as a BWM.

Old 12 Jun 2011, 02:42 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Interior Noise Control

Hey their Guys,

First off welcome Bogie to our humble Forum, and thank you Wolfman for forwarding this to me.

Honestly, like Serge said, it really depends on what you are wanting to do, and accomplish with it. Example, if its the doors which are sounding a little tinny when opening, or closing, then just by using a good sound deadening material like Dynamat will make a huge difference in making the doors sound much more solid. If its road noise your after then you could opt like Serge was saying about lining the doors, trunk, and so forth and it should make a decent change for ya. Or you could go all out and do like I have done in my PT as well as have done for a couple of good friends as well and add Dynamat throughout your full interior which should resolve most any noise issues but it is expensive to do correctly.

When I did mine, I used three full boxes of Dynamat Extreme to do my entire interior. Here is a pic of what it should look like.

Another thing that can also be done though it is a bit extreme would be to look into possibly adding an aftermarket replacement carpet kit for your PT. A lot of times as long as the OEM carpeting is in decent shape and not posing an odor problem and so forth, the installer will simply leave the old carpet in place to be used as more insulation under the new carpeting. Thickness wise its not all that much of a difference, but two layers of automotive carpeting, padding, and a layer of Dynamat under that, and you should have enough of a barrier to quiet down quite a bit.

Beyond all that, their is not much more I can think of to get things any quieter. In reality that should actually set the PT on par with the higher end Luxury Cars as far as shear quietness.

As far as disassembly goes, the headliner is pretty straight forward. Here is the general process.

Remove your visors torx head screws,2 on the visor & 1 Phillips head on the catch. Unscrew the handles in the headliner but not all the way, there are round plastic catches behind liner. Remove all door pillar post A,B, &C posts. Unplug any electrical connections, Overhead console, Illuminated visors. No need to disconnect dome light in middle of headliner because that is wired and plugged in up front in A pillars. Watch how B pillars are removed because you have to replace them,they're tricky because of the seatbelt adjuster and the weatherstripping. The pillar post have 1 or 2 metal tanged inserts that have to be removed from the metal pillar behind pillar post, they can be squeezed together when pulled out.Remove rear seats and tilt passenger seat flat and drivers seat back. Remove plastic cover by speakers and along top of liner in rear. There are 2 plastic buttons that have to be taken out up in th rear ceiling. Get someone to help remove the headliner by tilting to the passenger side and pulling out the back.Might not be a bad idea to wear throw away plastic gloves so you keep the headliner clean

As far as the dash is concerned, I would not really recommend taking all that apart for the purpose of sound deadening. Adding sound deadening material to just small areas such as behind the passenger air bag cover, center bezel, and gauge cluster and so forth won't provide much sound deadening capabilities unfortunately. The most effective thing to do with sound deadening the dash would be to remove the entire dash and back panels and add it all in one piece so their is minimal sound brake. Otherwise your just not getting enough out of removing your dash to do much.

Other then that, should you need any more help with taking your interior apart or so forth, please feel free to ask me, and I would be more than happy to try to help out wherever I can anytime.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 12 Jun 2011, 10:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have to agree, my 2001 the engine you could barley hear and the shifting of gear was just barely. When I laid the rear seat flush I was getting more road noise from the rear of my 2008 until I bought a rubberized piece of carpet from home depot, mainly because I did not want to mess up the rear as i had done so in my 2001.

I had done as wolfman had suggested and trimmed my retro taillights to fit the 2008. I had noticed that there is nothing there bare metal and not even sealed off can see the ground. I was thinking of using the 3M Rubberized undercoating, I remember way back when I worked for the paint store, cars dealerships where buying that stuff by the cases for sound proofing. I got a couple of cans I am going to use in the back and will let you know if it works or not.

R.I.P. Penny
2001 - Limited Edition - 234,067 + Miles
120,000 spark plugs Bosch Platinum 4
135,000 - Timing belt,
170,000 - Radiator
190,000 PCV and hose
200,000 Spark plugs Bosch Platinum IR Fusion
200,235 - Oil Sensor
Old 15 Jun 2011, 10:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the input on interior noise, I'll use the info when I start in a few weeks

Bogie
Old 16 Jun 2011, 08:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
Thanks for the input on interior noise, I'll use the info when I start in a few weeks

Bogie
that's cool man, just make sure and take some pix, we're a bunch'a picture zombie's
Old 20 Aug 2011, 08:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Interior Noise Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addison91 View Post
Analytical investigations into performance functions for interior noise control are presented. Three different performance functions for global control and one performance function for local control are developed and investigated. These performance functions are based on the squared pressure, the panel kinetic energy, and the air particle kinetic energy. As an illustration, noise control in the interior of a three-dimensional enclosure with a flexible boundary clamped along the edges is considered. Active control is realized by using lead zirconate titanate patches as distributed actuators and interior microphones as error sensors.

Thanks

car shipping rates
got a headache after reading this.
Old 20 Aug 2011, 10:00 am
Veteran Cruiser

Factory uses tar, it's great to remove 'tinniness'
It's heavy and it burns, tho. One of the first things done to Neon's is to remove it all.