Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Installed factory cruise control but not working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2011, 05:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Installed factory cruise control but not working

Just installed a new oem factory cruise control kit in our '07 cruiser. Took it to the dealer to have the cruise switched on in the computer and no dice, its not working at all. The tech said the computer was allready set to on for cruise control. Also said that if the model didnt have cruise from the factory then sometimes the factory cruise kit wont work, you have to use an after market kit.

So i went home with intentions of rechecking my wireing but i forgot to get my instructions back from the dealership. Now im really stuck. I have no idea what to check other than ohm out the wires for continuity.

Anybody have ideas how i can diagnose this?
Old 15 Jul 2011, 05:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Installed factory cruise control but not working

Like to help you out but since it's an 07 all my information is for the 01-05 cruisers. They changed the electrics on the 06+ models dong away with the PDC (Power Distribution Center) and adding the IPM (Integrated Power Module) and other changes so that's maybe why it isn't working.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 07:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I checked continuity on all wires and all check ok from plug to plug. Unless i simply plugged a wire into the wrong spot im stumped.
Old 16 Jul 2011, 08:17 am
Regular Cruiser

I'm fairly certain that option needs to be added into chrysler's website and then have your TIPM reconfigured. It's not as simple as going in and seeing if it's enabled or not. I think you might want to try another dealer.
Old 16 Jul 2011, 09:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floundering View Post
I'm fairly certain that option needs to be added into chrysler's website and then have your TIPM reconfigured. It's not as simple as going in and seeing if it's enabled or not. I think you might want to try another dealer.
Thats my next move.
Old 16 Jul 2011, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, so i went to the city today and had the big dog Chrysler dealership take a crack at it. They said the same thing, that they need to log into Chryslers website or something and get a code for it , something like that, i dont know. Anyways, after 2-1/2 hours of waiting they tell me that it just isnt working. The tech said the option for cruise control just isnt showing up after a couple hours of waiting. Said they need to call Chrysler tech dept direct but no one is there on the weekends. So im suposed to bring it back during the week sometime. But i live 100 miles from no where and i cant get away during the week to make the trip back up there.
If i knew it would be this big of a hassle i would have just went with an after market kit in the first place. You dont need to enable anything in the computer with an after market kit do you?
Old 16 Jul 2011, 06:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've had two other cars that I had added after market cruise control and both worked fine but you don't get the little light that says it's ON and on one they added a complete new stalk.

Doing a search there's plenty to read about adding the factory kit to a your cruiser. One even said it took two hours and their dealer hooked it right up. Sounds like your dealer doesn't have the know how to do it.

Adding Cruise Control

need help? add cruise control to 2005?

Difficulty and cost on installing cruise control

Cruise Control Install

Adding Cruise Control and Fog Lights

http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/...ase-PT-Cruiser

Last edited by CREWZIN; 16 Jul 2011 at 06:13 pm.
Old 16 Jul 2011, 07:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Didn't the directions in the kit tell what cruise option to add? Sometimes there's multiple of the same option so you have to know which code (it's usually 3 or 4 letters). It's really not that difficult. If you want, you can PM me your VIN and I can see if they added the option. I can also add it for you if you know the code but you'd still need the tipm reconfigured.

And it may be a hassle but factory cruise is definitely nicer than the aftermarket.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 07:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

I dont recall seeing anything in the directions about adding an option or any codes. I left the instructions at the local dealer on Friday, ill call them on Monday to see if they still have it laying around.
I guess i just dont understand what you mean by having to add the option with Chrysler. The dealer yesterday was talking about the same thing but its over my head aparently. In my mind you would just need to flash the computer so it now recognises it has cruise.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 09:26 am
Regular Cruiser

That is basically what you're doing but they won't let you just go in the tipm and add it. You add it on Chrysler's website and then when you reconfigure the tipm, it check's the vins options at Chrysler's website and configures it for whatever options are in there.