Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
standard gearshift knob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jan 2004, 08:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default standard gearshift knob

I just got a chrome gearshift knob for Christmas, and thought I could simply unscrew the original part and replace with this one. However, the original knob doesn't seem to unscrew easily. Rather than using force and maybe damaging the gear knob. Could someone please advise me on how to remove the original properly? I assume it would be a counter-clockwise turn & it's threaded onto the shaft, yes?
thanks!
Old 02 Jan 2004, 08:49 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

The information in this thread should help: http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...ear,shift,knob

Welcome to the forum, ptkd12.

Old 02 Jan 2004, 09:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The gearshift knob on a 5-speed doesn't screw on. To remove it, just place a cloth between the shift ball, open a cresent wrench and place it under the ball, and hit up on it with a hammer. It should just pop off, usually forward, so don't hit it too hard. It's held in place by a notch in the shaft and the shifter ball has a corresponding bulge inside that locks it in. There are several places that sell adapters (uses a set screw to lock it on the shaft and has a standard 3/8-16 threaded stud on top), http://www.kustomkruzr.com/catalog2.html , see picture below:

Some universal shifter knobs that use plastic inserts/adapters can be forced onto the shaft and seem to work fine. Could also replace the stock shifter with a B&M or Hurst short shifter.
Old 02 Jan 2004, 09:25 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Welcome to the forum ptkd12!

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 02 Jan 2004, 09:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you all for the quick response and advice on replacing the shift knob. The parts pkg. contained 3 plastic, closed-ended tubes approx. 2" long, and I had no clue as to what they were for as no instructions were incl. with the knob. It sounds like once the original is removed, one of these plastic tubes goes on the gear shaft first, and then the knob [which is held w/3 allen screws]is tapped down on it.
does this sound correct?
Old 02 Jan 2004, 10:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ptkd12

Thank you all for the quick response and advice on replacing the shift knob. The parts pkg. contained 3 plastic, closed-ended tubes approx. 2" long, and I had no clue as to what they were for as no instructions were incl. with the knob. It sounds like once the original is removed, one of these plastic tubes goes on the gear shaft first, and then the knob [which is held w/3 allen screws]is tapped down on it.
does this sound correct?
Yes, those 3 plastic tubes (different thicknesses) are being used now to fit different a variety of applications, different threads (metric and standard) and shaft thicknesses (and cheaper for the manufacturer) and use set screws to lock them in.
Old 02 Jan 2004, 10:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

welcome ptkd, to a great board!![8)]
Old 04 Jan 2004, 03:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

does this sound correct?
Aye the tubes are there to pick up the slack if the replacement knob happens to have a larger diameter opening. I went through two other knobs before I found one that was what I wanted on my third try. I ended up with a MoMo knob. Quality is top notch and it fit like it was o.g. equipment. (http://www.ltbmotorsports.com/raceairleather.html)

I used the KustomKruzr adapter for my second knob and it worked well. (Not to mention the folks at KustomKruzr are great to deal with!) They only problem I had with it was that it didn't quite cover the unfinished part of the shift lever so I had about 3/16" of unpolished metal between the bottom of the adapter and the polished lever. Hard to see to be honest but I knew it was there.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 07:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Beacon

Quote:

does this sound correct?
Aye the tubes are there to pick up the slack if the replacement knob happens to have a larger diameter opening. I went through two other knobs before I found one that was what I wanted on my third try. I ended up with a MoMo knob. Quality is top notch and it fit like it was o.g. equipment. (http://www.ltbmotorsports.com/raceairleather.html)

I used the KustomKruzr adapter for my second knob and it worked well. (Not to mention the folks at KustomKruzr are great to deal with!) They only problem I had with it was that it didn't quite cover the unfinished part of the shift lever so I had about 3/16" of unpolished metal between the bottom of the adapter and the polished lever. Hard to see to be honest but I knew it was there.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 07:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks again for the help, and expl. of what the plastic tubes are.
kd