PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Dark Taupe interior vinyl paint

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2011, 08:10 am
Young Cruiser

Default 2001 Dark Taupe interior vinyl paint

Does anyone know where to get the correct dark taupe for the 2001 interior?
I ordered SEM L5 dark taupe, but it is lighter than the 01 dark taupe.

I would like to paint my new storage bins to match.

thanks,
Old 15 Nov 2013, 02:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Dark Taupe interior vinyl paint

I realize this is a really old thread, but no one ever answered the OP's question and I need the same thing.

My taupe dash is cracked and my center bezel is peeling. But I found a pristine donor car with the charcoal grey (black-like) interior with a perfect dash and bezel. But I will need the paint to match my taupe interior.

Please give a brother a little guidance on what spray paint to get and where to get it.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 05:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

The OP had the correct rattle can for the job..SEM..just was too light he said. Go to a Carquest store, they carry SEM. Great stuff, I've done complete interiors with it.
MSD
NKG
VMS Racing 10.1 Red Plug Wires
Installed Heated Leather Seats
Old 15 Nov 2013, 05:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasPTGT View Post
The OP had the correct rattle can for the job..SEM..just was too light he said. Go to a Carquest store, they carry SEM. Great stuff, I've done complete interiors with it.
The color the OP got was L5. I thought the dark taupe on a 2001 PT interior was WL8? At least, that's what is shown for a 2002. I cannot find a specific code for 2001.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 06:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: 2001 Dark Taupe interior vinyl paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I cannot find a specific code for 2001.
It's should be on the placard on the drivers side door jamb....It will have your Vin#,Paint Code,Interior Code,Etc.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 06:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: 2001 Dark Taupe interior vinyl paint

You could also try this supplier: Dark Taupe (Interior Color) WL8 Touch Up Paint for 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Old 15 Nov 2013, 06:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
It's should be on the placard on the drivers side door jamb....It will have your Vin#,Paint Code,Interior Code,Etc.
You would think so. But that tag only shows the PEL exterior paint code and GLFL trim code. From what I can find, the GLFL does designate the two tone interior with dark taupe leather seats. But it doesn't specify the taupe color. I cannot directly associate that code with a can of paint.

I have found three Chrysler dark taupe interior colors that cover the 2001 production year. These are L5, L3 and WL8. WL8 is the only one specific to the PT interior that I've found. And that application starts in 2002. And of course, my PT is a 2001.

You can see that here:

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touch Up Paint - Colors for 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser

And here's my data plate. Please help.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Nov 2013 at 06:33 pm.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 08:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: 2001 Dark Taupe interior vinyl paint

My 2003's interior is considered 'Taupe' also.....But,I have noticed that most of the molded plastic is a 'Lt. Gray'(dashboard,center console & rear window switch,door pockets/lower panel,sill trim,liftgate trim,seat trim,storage drawer,armrests,etc.),and others are a 'Cream' color(A,B,C,and D Pillars,upper door panels,etc.)....But,my center radio bezel & front window switch is a 'Lt Tan'??????(Kinda coffee w/creamer color!).....And those 2 things are the ONLY pieces that color.
Am I the only one that has noticed this,or has this color mixture going on?
Old 15 Nov 2013, 11:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
My 2003's interior is considered 'Taupe' also.....But,I have noticed that most of the molded plastic is a 'Lt. Gray'(dashboard,center console & rear window switch,door pockets/lower panel,sill trim,liftgate trim,seat trim,storage drawer,armrests,etc.),and others are a 'Cream' color(A,B,C,and D Pillars,upper door panels,etc.)....But,my center radio bezel & front window switch is a 'Lt Tan'??????(Kinda coffee w/creamer color!).....And those 2 things are the ONLY pieces that color.
Am I the only one that has noticed this,or has this color mixture going on?
My dash and bezel are both truly taupe along with the seats, carpet and most of the rest. Much of the doors and all of the door/window posts and top liner with fixtures are bone colored.

I believe what looks gray in some PT's is actually taupe too. In a blue 2002 PT at the salvage yard, it all looks grey. But it's really taupe. I've taken some interior pieces out of that car and they match mine perfectly. The blue makes taupe look gray. But in my red PT, the taupe looks grayish brown. I believe taupe is a just a hard color to wrap your eyes around. And it can look different depending on the other colors around it.

PS: The paint companies that list both the WL8 and L5 dark taupe interior codes sell the same color paint to match both. So these two codes are either the same color or they are so close that one replacement color will match both. The SEM taupe paint is as follows for the spray can:

SEM Products Classic Coat #17243 Taupe

With shipping, it appears that Summit Racing may have the best online price.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Nov 2013 at 11:37 pm.
Old 16 Nov 2013, 07:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Red face Re: 2001 Dark Taupe interior vinyl paint

I think the main reason I even noticed at all,is because I pulled all of my interior pieces(as part of my resto!),and having them inside,under good lighting,it was really pronounced....In spite of the fact I am slightly color-deficient(not color-blind!)....That's probably why the Navy didn't want me working on planes,or in ANY electrical field....When you have 20 different shades of red wiring,it all looks RED to me!lol