Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cloth to Leather seats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2011, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cloth to Leather seats

I purchased a full set of Leather seats for my 2008 pt. LX. I currently have manual seats. The new leather seats are electric for the drivers side.

The salvage yard I got the seats from sent me the male adapter from the original vehicle and the wire colors are identical to what I have to plug and play.

However there is no play. I don't have an owners manual but I downloaded a 2007 PT manual ( none available for the 2008). I located the fuse box and in slot (cavity) #9 should be a Green 40amp fuse for the electric seats. I have that. but no power seat movement.

What am I missing? An electric seat relay?

I thought in the meantime that I would swap the seat base but as far as I can tell the electric motors are part of the seat base.

Any help on this greatly appreciated. I am trying to swap these in 100 degree weather. It is HOT!
Old 03 Aug 2011, 12:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cloth to Leather seats

Get a voltmter and look for 12V in the seat connector - also, get some wire and send 12V direct to the seat and be sure it works.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Aug 2011, 01:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't know if I want to send 12volts to the seat or not....I have airbags....
Old 03 Aug 2011, 02:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Too bad you couldn't have bought one with leather seats, just makes it easier.
Old 03 Aug 2011, 02:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

All the ones in the area at the time had over 100,000 miles or had a rebuilt title that was in my price range.

My 08 only has 52,500, it was a one owner and was in my price range. Just didn't have leather seats. It didn't have cruise control either, but I have it installed and working just fine now.

I believe I am going to swap seat covers for the drivers seat. With the exception of the lumbar support on the back of the leather seats, I am going to see if I can swap the backs completely to keep the lumbar support.

If not I will have to modify the back seatcover by replacing the outside panel so the hole for lumbar handle wont be there.

Yes it would have been better to have purchased one with all the bells and whistles.
Old 03 Aug 2011, 09:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The air bag wiring should be very obvious.
Usually covered in yellow rubber coating, so you KNOW for sure it's air bags.
The power and ground you require for your seats to operate will have nothing at all to do with your air bags.
The wires you need should be fairly big in gauge and the SRS wires will be substantially smaller.
A picture of the wiring could probably put this to bed.
Old 03 Aug 2011, 09:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just to clarify, you are saying you have airbags in the new seats, right?
Old 04 Aug 2011, 02:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes airbags in the seat backs. There are only 2 plug in connectors. A big plug with approx 6 wires and a smaller plug with 2 wires. I believe the smaller would be for the airbags.

I have decided to stick with the manual base. I am running out of time to track the gremlins down. I work fulltime and own and operate my own business.

I have ran into a new dilemma. I reinstalled my manual drivers seat and The driverside airbag light is on. Is it on because I disconnected and reconnected the airbag?
Old 04 Aug 2011, 07:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Absolutely.
If you turn the ignition on for whatever reason with any airbag unplugged, the will recognize it as a problem and inform you via the air bag light.
2 very easy ways to clear it.
1. Go to dealership and get them to clear your codes. or,
2. Black & Decker Tools | Car Diagnostic Tool AD925

Option 2 is about the same price as what your dealer will charge you to clear the code.
But this way you'll have it for future usage.

Hope that helps.
Old 05 Aug 2011, 02:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info srtbull2004. After further research prior to your post, I did find that information out.

When I was trying to get the electric drivers seat to work I did crank the car up to see if that had any difference on the electric motors.

Thanks for the tip on the OBDII reader also.

I was in edmonton "via Cold Lake" several years ago...really like that part of your country. Very cold though, but great fishing!