PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
LED lighting install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2011, 01:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Jtwheels2007
Default LED lighting install

I have a 2005 Touring. Currently the only interior lighting i have is the dome light when I open the door. My floorboard is completely dark. I was thinking about installing LED Pods under the dash and wiring them so that they triggered when the door opened up. I would like to install them under the back of the front seats as well. I know wiring BASICS, but trying to think about the best way to run the wires and how to link all 4 lights together makes my mind scramble! In addition to white LED's in all 4 locations i wanted to wire up a set of 4 BLUE LED pods in same locations. these wired to a on-off switch. I was THINKING about for this tapping into the cigarette lighter plug for power. does any1 have any suggestions? any1 who can give me a literal 'LED wiring for dummies' step by step on both installs would b greatly appreciated. Can any one tell me where in teh car i can tap into the door trigger wires?
Old 08 Aug 2011, 05:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: LED lighting install

Welllllll.... normally I'd have a lot to say when it comes to questions like this, however looking through the wiring diagram to find the door contact switch can be a bugger and I'm not ready for the amount of time needed for that. Mind you, the service manual does have even the wire color codes so you don't need to go all the way to the contact switch, you can look in the wiring bundle for the specific wires. I'll PM you on that info rather than drag it out here.

As to the wiring - I do a lot of wiring into my car for stuff like this. Matter of fact I'm currently installing a marine breaker panel under the glove box on the passenger side against the firewall, then running that to my battery direct, since I have just too many wires now going to the battery.

My suggestion to you would be to run your power via relay rather than using the power off of the contact switch. Use the contact switch just to operate the relay and run power direct from the battery or do like I'm doing, add a terminal board inside so you can run power to it. I use relays for everything, they reduce the load on switches, so you're not pulling power off whatever else is connected to that switch. Remember, as you increase load, your voltage drops. So say you want to use the same power that is currently connected to your dome light - connect up a string of LED lights or Neons to it and the dome light will go very dim. Go through a relay and there is no issue.

Now rather than hunting for the contact switches, you can always go to the wires for the dome light and trace them down to where you can use the positive line for your relay connection. Here's a simple wiring diagram I've put together for using a relay. Works for any kind of load. The relay can be bought at any auto parts store, I think I paid $3 for the last one.

In your case, you want to take a positive connection off of pin 85 on the back of the relay to either your door contact or the dome light. The switch function on this is simply the on/off side of the relay. The fuse box shown can be completely ignored. Also ignore the amperage ratings shown, this is for headlights or foglights, you can use 10 or 12 awg, or if the LED's really don't pull much, you can go down to 16 awg if you wish. I run just about everything at 12 awg.