PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear seat not folding forward

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Sep 2011, 01:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear seat not folding forward

Hi all,

I am able to completely remove the smaller section of the rear seat and able to fold the larger section down but not forward.

When I pull the lever near the rear passenger door at the bottom side of the seat I can hear the far latch releasing (I think) but not the latch nearest the door. It seems that the linkage has become disconnected.

I am unable to get anything under the seat to manually pop it open as there are plastic tabs that guard it and fit into the recess in the floor with the latch when the seat is down.

Any suggestions on how I can release this latch? I am moving soon (400 km away) and getting rid of my seats would probably save me an 800 km round trip so any help with this would be appreciated!

Thanks - Jeff
Old 23 Sep 2011, 02:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Rear seat not folding forward

The latch has two cables connected to it, one of them tight when pulled and the other slack.

This reminds me of trying to release the latch on my hood in the winter when the cable gets moist and freezes...not fun when its -50 with the windchill!
Old 23 Sep 2011, 02:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was beginning to think these seats were a terrible design but where the middle seatbelt comes out there is a small plastic guard that covers the latch, same with the other edge of the large seat, and under these plastic guards is the cable that runs to the latch. The one cable sleeve has become disconnected and a pair of needle nose pliers to pull on the cable released it!

Now just to reconnect the cable sleeve...should be easy I'm hoping!
Old 23 Sep 2011, 03:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Glad we could help you solve the problem!

I can't recall hearing about anyone having a problem like this before, but I'm sure it has happened. Hopefully is fairly easy to reconnect the cables.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 10 Oct 2015, 05:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi all. I have the same problem with my 2007 cruiser. For me, the cable seems to have detached from the latch. I can see it from the seat belt hole like the previous poster said. But, I can't get the plastic piece off or out of the way. Any ideas on that? I hesitate to force it out if there's another way to do it that I am not aware of.

Thanks,
Matt

Tags
folding seat, latch, rear seat