Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My new PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Oct 2011, 06:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default My new PT

I just got a used 2009 Pt and it did not come with the back bar/ shelf . can I purchase that anywhere or is it even worth it? Does any one even use it? Also the sales man said the tires were filled with some kind of nitrogen compound so the tires would not expand, he was supposed to refill them before we left but did not do it and said I could come back anytime to get it done. Does any one knoe anything about this tire stuff?

After we made the sale, The sales guy just kinda left us with out even giving us the keys, The manager came over to us and asked why we were still there and I said Mr> Bagadonuts never even gave us the keys. He was pissed off ( the maNAGER and the Mr bagadonuts then came out and gave us the keys but said the shop was closed to fill the tires. This was about 9 pm and I had a 2 and 3 yrs old with me and my hubby and we had not had dinner yet except for popcorn and twizzlers. So I did not want to hand out to argue. Im going up tomorrow to get my free tire fill and they better do or I will raise the roof. But does anyone know about this nitrogen filler in the tires?
Old 01 Oct 2011, 06:51 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: My new PT

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new PT.As far as the shelf goes you can usually find them on ebay and sometimes Craigslist.We had the shelf in two of our three PT's and we have never used it.Just taking up space in my opinion.As for the nitrogen a lot of dealers and tire centers are using it because the tire pressures stay more stable with it so you dont have to air up as often.If you're concerned about it being flammable,dont because it's not flammable.
Old 01 Oct 2011, 07:22 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchild View Post
I just got a used 2009 Pt and it did not come with the back bar/ shelf . can I purchase that anywhere or is it even worth it? Does any one even use it?
I use the shelf - in the topmost position when carrying small stuff that we don't want to be seen, and in the middle position most of the time. When I put it in the bottom, I turn it over so it won't get scratched - also cover it with a mat.

PS - I also have a cargo nt that attaches to the metal d-rings in the rear compartment. Useful for carrying small bags of groceries, etc.

Last edited by harrym; 01 Oct 2011 at 08:46 pm. Reason: cargo mat info added
Old 01 Oct 2011, 08:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

I leave mine in the middle position. It is black and my PT is red. When you look in the windows you only see black nothing. When I shop I put it all under the shelf and when you look in it looks like nothing is there, I have used the shelf itself when I buy tons of Groc and put the light or crush-able stuff up there.( I got mine off ebay )
Old 01 Oct 2011, 08:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

I use mine in the middle position to cover up tools and other stuff I have, this gives me a nice flat surface to put groceries on. I also have a homemade shelf that I sometimes put at the top position to hide stuff. Mine was also off ebay.
Old 01 Oct 2011, 10:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Old 02 Oct 2011, 02:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Chromenut, I LOVE you picture and your PT convertible. Very cool
Old 02 Oct 2011, 02:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Moonchild,

The Nitrogen in the tires is put there by almost all new cars and is used by NASA on the space shuttle, NASCAR in the race cars along with Formula 1 race cars and many other services. Supposedly Nitrogen molecules are larger than 100% air so the tires don't leak, or I should say leak a lot less than pure air so the tires stay at the recommended inflation a lot longer. Tires wear out faster when they are over filled or under inflated so keeping it at the same inflation longer, lets the tires last longer. Usually you can go back to whoever put the Nitrogen in the tires about one every other month or sooner if yo want and the tires will be checked and filled for free.

The rear shelf has black hooks o it and can carry about a dozen grocery bags. The bast thing about the shelf is what it's in the high postion, you can put thngs in the rear and nobody can see your packages through the back window. It can also be extended out back with the built-in leg and you can use it as a picnic table like when you tailgate at sports games. There's someone selling a wooden one in out For Sale section of the forum. Sounds like he's about to throw it away if nobody buys it so you can make him a low ball offer and maybe pick one up for cheap.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 02 Oct 2011 at 02:44 pm.
Old 02 Oct 2011, 02:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchild View Post
Chromenut, I LOVE you picture and your PT convertible. Very cool
Thank you! Post some pics and I'll edit them up for you! lol
Old 03 Oct 2011, 11:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Air is majority Nitrogen to begin with. I'm sure there is some measureable difference between pure nitrogen and 'normal' air but it's very small. Just fill your tiers with compressed air and check them twice a month like everyone should be doing anyways.