Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Got a rear view mirror question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Dec 2011, 05:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Got a rear view mirror question

Hey everybody, hope your holiday season is going well. I know mine is, boy am I getting a lot of sleep! Thank goodness, because I go back to work this coming Monday, and after 7 months of no work, it's going to take some getting used to, being up at the crack of dawn and all that stuff.

Anyway, my question goes out to the general populace regarding the windshield mounted rear view mirrors. Has anyone ever converted from standard mirror to auto-dimming?

The reason I ask is simple, I HATE MY EFFING MIRROR! I have, as most of you know, an '06 PT GT vert, and as long as I keep my wind screen installed, I never have to flip my mirror at night as it's just enough to calm down the headlights of those behind me. As many of you probably know, getting a pickup truck behind you with high beams on causes the light to drill a whole through your brain! lol.

So, I'm sick of mine. Hate having to flip it at night then remember the next morning to go back. It's a total PITA. Yes, I'm lazy as hell! Can you tell, unemployed this long.

Anyway, I've purchased, from an ebay friend of mine who constantly is dredging through auto parts yards, a really nice Oldsmobile rear view mirror. It's in excellent shape, a bit dusty/dirty, but other than that all 100% functional, no chips, etc. Here's a few pics:

Mounts on the same windshield mount, only this one is much more sturdy. Drop-arm is about a 1/4" longer than the factory mirror, which is great because I'm always having to crane my neck to look down to see out all the way. It's got dual map lights just like my factory mirror, and of course it's got both front and rear light detectors, front for night time, rear for idiots behind you with high beams on. Perfect, it's also slightly larger than our factory mirrors so better view out the rear.

Now, just curious if anyone has ever converted to one of these and if so how did you wire it up? I have the factory wiring on my PT mirror, that powers the map lights. I'm going to snip off the connector and attach it to this new mirror, but was curious if anyone has done this before. I must say, I'm excited to get this done, I love these auto-dimming mirrors!

Oh, and the reason I went for this one, the factory/OEM auto-dimmers run $238 on average, and a used one is selling for over $100. This one I got for $40, free shipping. And it only took about a week from when I contacted him to delivery. How's that for a good deal?!?

Last edited by Chromenut; 28 Dec 2011 at 05:33 pm.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 11:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Got a rear view mirror question

nobody???
Old 29 Dec 2011, 11:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I saw your post when you put it on the forum. I was trying to think of someplace that would have the wiring diagram for yours or another auto-dimming mirror but all I could think of is a new one that would come with instructions how to wire it up. Repair manuals wouldn't go into something like that or have schematics for it.
Old 08 Jan 2012, 10:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Anybody ever install one of these????
Old 08 Jan 2012, 10:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I saw your post when you put it on the forum. I was trying to think of someplace that would have the wiring diagram for yours or another auto-dimming mirror but all I could think of is a new one that would come with instructions how to wire it up. Repair manuals wouldn't go into something like that or have schematics for it.
On my current factory mirror, which has two map lights, there are three lines going to it. I'm wondering if they have paralleled the wiring, one per light. But, that could have been done inside the mirror frame and wouldn't need a separate line. So, possibly two positives and a negative. I'm going to have to look at the wiring diagram and tear it apart. Then I have to trace back the wires from the harness to where ever they terminate on the new mirror. Really isn't a difficult process since the new mirror has a screw-off backplate, allowing you access to all the wiring.

Think I'll get it done this week. Really want to try this out!

Add to it, instead of cutting off the connector on the factory unit, I may try to find the female end and put it on the new one, see if I can wire it up that way...hmmmmm....
Old 09 Jan 2012, 10:54 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via ICQ to PT_Panel

Robin, I don't know if this would help or not but maybe if you went to the service manual for Buick/Olds I don't remember which you said now and see where the wires are supposed to connect, that would give you an idea on how to hook it up, Don't know because I don't have any of these new fangled things on my humble PT. Good luck with the project and with the new job. Steve
Old 09 Jan 2012, 11:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Good point. Didn't even think of that. You'd think with all the research and all the findings I've come up with on the PT that I could do the same for an Olds...lol
Old 31 Mar 2012, 10:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Dunno if this thread is dead yet, but I installed one in my Neon recently. You only need 2 of the wires, but it all depends on the order of the wires.

You can Google Gentex auto dimming rear view mirror to maybe find which one you have.

One wire for power and one for ground, a third is used to turn your auto dim off while backing up, which I did not bother wiring up.

The rest of the wires are for options like auto dimming side views, which use the sensor from your rear view.

Hope this helps, unless you figured it our already.
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 01 Apr 2012, 12:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Actually need more than two wires - on the convertibles, you don't have a dome light, you have map lights on the mirrror, so you need hot leads for those plus a hot lead for the auto-dimming feature of the mirror. Add to it, you need the ability to have the map lights come on when the doors open, so you need a 'door open' lead. Finally a ground. The issue is that the drawings and wiring diagrams only show three leads, while my PT has four for the mirror. Just need to match those four up to the five on my new mirror. Haven't done it yet, been too busy to do any work on my PT lately.
Old 01 Apr 2012, 12:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Actually need more than two wires - on the convertibles, you don't have a dome light, you have map lights on the mirrror, so you need hot leads for those plus a hot lead for the auto-dimming feature of the mirror. Add to it, you need the ability to have the map lights come on when the doors open, so you need a 'door open' lead. Finally a ground. The issue is that the drawings and wiring diagrams only show three leads, while my PT has four for the mirror. Just need to match those four up to the five on my new mirror. Haven't done it yet, been too busy to do any work on my PT lately.
"Git er done" Man I just couldn't resist that one!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com