grab handle

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By thehoghunter
  • 1 Post By quicksilverdon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2012, 11:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default grab handle

I have asked before but this one is slightly different. I have an 04 pt that I need to put a grab handle in so my mother who i care for can get in and out easier. I know there is a roof one but what I need to know is this......is there a way to mount some kind of handle or strap on the passenger side front door pillar? I dont want to hack the car up, I t may sound crazy but it is truly the nicest car I have ever owned and I want to keep it that way.

Thanks
Philip J. ...proud owner of the PJ Cruiser
Old 14 Jan 2012, 07:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: grab handle

I looked on the Internet and it seems that added grab handles are for the over head, that we already have. Here's a thread where I I added two other threads that tell how to remove the grab handle from the 06+ cruisers. Maybe you can find someone who took their's off or a salvage yard that has a new cruiser with the towel rack bar and somehow add that bar to yours.

Passenger Grab Bar Removal
Old 14 Sep 2014, 01:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

So, my wife complained 3 years ago when I got the car about no "Oh Sh!t!" handle - this was my solution so I didn't have to change out the headliner just to have it. This is only so I remember how I did it - if you attempt this it is at your own risk.

Note - I went through my original A-pillar cover and two more (mostly because I suck at drilling straight). The same place where the A-pillar trim connects to the frame of the vehicle is where I drilled out to allow putting a handle onto the A-pillar trim.

parts:
2 cage nuts (10-32)
2 10-32 {2 inches long} screws
2 washers
lots of patience (I still haven't found where that went)

tools:
pliers (to squeeze the cage nuts tight before installing)
flat tip screw driver (to push cage nuts into the slot)
Phillips screw driver (installation of screws)
drill and drill bit (unfortunately, I don't recall the size as I did this some time ago - has to be big enough for the handle ends to go in)

The pictures are of my second installation (utilizing the same a-pillar trim) - the screws I used were too long and bent on installation and I could not get them off with a screwdriver (needed to hack saw off the old handle).

The cage nut goes into the slots where the original a-pillar trim goes into.

Before attempting to install the cage nut, squeeze it tight so the tabs are a bit closer together to get it to go into the slots. If the cage nut won't go using a screwdriver, then use the pliers on the pieces of the cage nut that go into the slot and squeeze it there (just enough so it will install).

The cage nut should be able to move up and down once in the slot but not easily - make sure it's at the right width for the screws in the handle.

Put the A-pillar back on...Make sure the cage nuts are visible through the holes and that it's close enough to center.

Install the handle...try to go evenly into the A-pillar trim.

Now the wife has a handle to grab when other drivers scare the *&$% out of her.

Note that it isn't perfect (it wasn't made to go there)...but it will stay in place.

FYI - the way this goes on, there is a little bit of play but not enough to make it unsecured. When I went to take my old one off, I could not pull it off of there and had to use a hacksaw.

2005 N/A 5 speed manual - Booger bushings, K&N Filter, MSD spark plug wires, APC Taillights, Accra-Form Running Boards, Hubcap Mike's Spoke Hubcaps, Retrosound radio (usb1-2/aux1-2/bluetooth), Chrysler 1949 Hood Ornament, and a Flameball white pearl shift knob (which makes it go faster).
Old 14 Sep 2014, 02:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoghunter View Post

Now the wife has a handle to grab when other drivers scare the *&$% out of her.
You spoil your wife...

I tell mine to close her eyes - like I do!
LionPT likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles