Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Custom rearview mirror w/auto-dimming and map lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Feb 2012, 11:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Custom rearview mirror w/auto-dimming and map lights

Since the first night I drove my PT, I've been PO'd that it doesn't have the auto-dimming feature. So for several years now I've been trying to figure out how to adapt mine to fit an auto-dimming mirror. The OEM one for these cars is insanely expensive and there's no way I'm paying that kind of stupid money.

So, came across a heck of a deal on a mirror that has both the auto-dimming feature and map lights. In a convertible you really need the map lights. So, purchased this from a friend of mine for $40 including shipping, it's off of like a '95 Buick, fits the type of mirror mount our PT uses, and today I went through the circuit board on it and now have the wiring established. Soon as it's in and running properly I'll do the post-install pictures, but here's the mirror and mirror type that I bought.

This info is for any others out there who want to do a budget install of a rearview mirror with auto-dimming and map lights. The mirror is made by Gentex, one of the largest and most well-established mirror manufacturers out there. It's model number is GNTX-115. It has a 7-pin connector on back of which only 5 wires are connected. Out of those 5 wires, our PT's will only utilize three per the '06 wiring diagram. Of course, I'll be confirming this while I do the install.

So here's some photos of the new mirror, prior to install:

Notice sensor on top-center of mirror - this controls the 'darkening' of the mirror when someone rolls up behind you with their headlights in your rear window:

Notice the small sensor - this faces forward and is the light sensor that controls the on/off auto-dimming feature:

GNTX-115 pin-out:

The buttons under the mirror control the left/right map reading lights, the center button controls the auto-dimming feature, turning it on/off.

Soon as I'm completed with the install, I'll post photos and a short dissertation on how I got this to work. $40 is one heck of a deal, if you want one of these let me know and I'll put you in touch with my friend.

As a side note, I've tried several other auto-dimming rearview mirrors and none have worked. This is the first model I've seen that appears to have everything needed to work in our PT's. If you don't have a convertible, I'm not sure that you'll have power to the mirror, so you may have to run your own power for it. My little 'how-to' is going to show how I adapt the PT's powered mirror to this new one.

ITEM TO NOTE: if you're going out to find one on your own, make sure you request that a pigtail remains on the mirror from the original wiring. Without it you're going to really have fits trying to get it to work!