Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Map light replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Mar 2012, 02:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Question Map light replacement

I was replacing my map lights a while back but realized they have festoon like bulbs. So I just painted them, but when I went to oreilly to buy some the only had ones that plug in for the Dome. Could some one tell me what size I need? I am actually looking for leds from Super Bright LEDs. Thanks ahead of time.

Wife's White 2002 Limited: Konig 17" Rims, 5000k White HID Head Lights,

My Red 2003 GT: Sold.....
Old 01 Mar 2012, 06:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Map light replacement

I don't mean to be crass here, but I do want to bust your chops. Like many newbies here, you ask simple questions that a lot of other people have asked. Did you try searching the forums? I tend to answer the same question about 40 times a month, which is why I posted my entire library of technical documents here in these forums. If you go to the Tech/Performance section, it's the very first post.

Please understand, from my position, that I am CONSTANTLY answering questions here and sometimes it just gets old!

Now, so you don't have to search for it, here is the link to the Mopar Lighting Guide. Search for ANY lights on your PT, you will find them here in this guide. Go over to that tech section and you'll find several guides just like this, plus lots and lots of items.

Carey, any chance of posting in the new member's thread a "hey why don't you go check this section out" posting? I think I'm going to add that to my sig block, maybe others will start getting the hint.

Mopar Lighting Guide
Old 02 Mar 2012, 06:00 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2011 View Post
I was replacing my map lights a while back but realized they have festoon like bulbs. So I just painted them, but when I went to oreilly to buy some the only had ones that plug in for the Dome. Could some one tell me what size I need? I am actually looking for leds from Super Bright LEDs. Thanks ahead of time.
Jimmy, you can find all of the PTs lights (names/uses and part numbers) listed in your owners manual. In my 2004 manual they are on pages 285 and 286. You could use the OEM part numbers to cross referance onto the aftermarket sites. Chrome is definitely right about us refering any questions that are applicable to one the "Sticky's" or "How-To's" in the Tech section of our site. Chrome has done a GREAT job finding and arranging these pieces of info and we should make use of the fruits of his efforts. I know over at the Crew they often tell posters to go to "The Mod Bible", the answer is there, if you search for it. The Mod Bible is their version of our tech sections Sticky's/How-To's. They often ask newbys to read every topic (a bunch) and THEN come back and join them.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 02 Mar 2012 at 06:14 pm.
Old 03 Mar 2012, 02:38 am
Cool Cruiser

Okay, I worded that very badly. Sorry.

Over at SuperBrightLeds.com the sell Leds to replace stock bulbs. So I looked up what bulbs to replace the Map lights. Well the Map Lights in my vehicle are Festoon bulbs, where as the bulbs they are showing are nothing similar to it.

Here is the link: 2003 Chrysler Pt-cruiser LEDs

Old 03 Mar 2012, 04:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2011 View Post
Okay, I worded that very badly. Sorry.

Over at SuperBrightLeds.com the sell Leds to replace stock bulbs. So I looked up what bulbs to replace the Map lights. Well the Map Lights in my vehicle are Festoon bulbs, where as the bulbs they are showing are nothing similar to it.

Here is the link: 2003 Chrysler Pt-cruiser LEDs
Now those look like some good bulbs. I'm wondering now if I shouldn't replace mine with LED's. The lighting in the vert is pitiful to say the least. One thing I love about my wife's T&C Van is this lite blue light that shines down from the overhead onto the center console at night. It's mellow enough to not disturb the driver and the way it's aimed it doesn't reflect off the windshield or mirror, but bright enough to where you don't have to search around for stuff when it's dark out.

I'm thinking of doing a mod of some type to add in something similar, but coming out from under the arm rest, aimed down towards the cup holders, and maybe a second above it aimed up towards the center console area. However, I need kind of dim LED's for that. The wife's isn't an LED either, it's a fiber cable. Hmmm... your giving me some mod monkey pains ...lmao...
Old 06 Mar 2012, 12:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Be careful, I got a $1500 ticket for having aftermarket lights because the statey thought the LEDS looked blue. The magistrate dismissed it, but it was still a hassle.
Old 08 Mar 2012, 09:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Question Re: Map light replacement

So, does any one know what size festoon bulb to get?