Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
rear power plug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Mar 2012, 09:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question rear power plug

Is there a way to make the rear plug hot even when the car is off? I have a gps tracker installed in car with a battery that only lasts 9-10hrs. Once the tracker loses power I have to pull the body molding and turn the unit back on. Once the tracker battery is fully charged, it would only put minimal draw on the car's over sized battery.

I operate a small delivery company of three vehicles, and the cruiser good for its roll, but due to it's mpg, fuel cost and ins cost I have to have the gps tracker ready and running at all times.

So, is there a simple mod at the fuse box to provide power at all times to the rear plug or do I need to just go poking around with a probe and hope to get lucky and not really worry what I might tap into?
Old 07 Mar 2012, 11:22 am
Banned

Question Re: rear power plug

Why dont you just get a GPS tracker installed in your vehicles that is semi permanent?

I have one in my PT to where I can gather tons of data from it, even remote start, among other things, from anywhere there is a cell phone signal

I am assuming you want this hidden from your drivers? You can buy basic ones pretty cheap.

Talked with a friend of ours that installed one in their Teens cars. It is wired to the car, not the cig lighter.

You might want to seek out some better options, I dunno

Last edited by Busa_Powered; 07 Mar 2012 at 11:25 am.
Old 07 Mar 2012, 01:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: rear power plug

current tracker is wired to the rear power plug which was done as a quickie by by someone else...

I was hoping there was an easy way to provide power on that line instead of pulling body panels and doing right, which will take time.
Old 08 Mar 2012, 04:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

I don't know that there is an easy way of doing what you want. Though it is possible, will just take a little bit of electrical know how, and a little bit of time.

I recently added an accessory power plug that is hot all the time, and created a thread to that effect (click here to view it)

The short answer is that you can tap into one side of the connector on fuse position #29 (at least on a 2007). Then run a wire from the fuse box, back to the rear power plug, being sure to add some sort of inline fuse for protection (I used a 15A for a 3fer).

If I remember correctly, the rear power port will come out pretty easily, allowing you access to the wires. Using a test light or a meter determine which side of the plug is the hot wire, cut it from it's current source, and connect your newly run wire to the plug. In my opinion it's best to be able to solder and use heat shrink, but butt connectors will work if used properly. You'll also want to be sure and tape up/ cap off the old power source wire, as it'll continue to be hot when the ignition is on.

I think the hardest part will be running the new power wire. You'll obviously want it to be out of the way/ sight so that it doesn't get damaged by anything. This can be tricky, and will require a LOT of patience.

good luck, and feel free to PM me if you need something specific. I'm not a mechanic, but I am pretty handy electrically.

Exco

Bill
Old 24 Mar 2012, 04:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Was thinking of pulling the fuse for the lower and rear pwr port, and then running a wire from the upper dash pwr port straight to the lower lower port to provide pwr on that circuit. What else is on the for the the lower/rear pwr port radio mem, computer or clock?