PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
how do i remove center dash

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2012, 12:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default how do i remove center dash

i want to paint the center section of the dash as seen in many of the cars here in the forum as well as other various interior pieces. i am afraid to break anything so i wanted to ask...

how do i remove the center dash cover the houses the radio, ac vents, and ac/heat controls, etc.?

as i said above, i do not want to break it. if you can post pictures or even better a video that would be great! (i am a visual learner )
Old 27 Mar 2012, 06:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: how do i remove center dash

First, carefully remove the switch that has the 4 controls for the windows. It just pulls out towards you. Use a pry stick and carefully pry the switch at either side and it will come out. The switch itself it attached by two electrical connections, slide the red tabs to one side (if I remember right) and disconnect the switch from the wiring harness. Then look inside and you'll see one Phillips head screw, take that out. Pull off the 4 controls for the heater/air conditioner, they just pull off. Now take the same pry stick and carefully start prying all around the outside of the center console. It will start to come out towards you and keep prying all around the outside edge and the whole thing comes off in one piece.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 07:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

NOTE - I don't see the year of your PT! If it's an '06 or newer then don't follow Crewzin's information, as his is for the '05 and older models.

No offense Carey, but that's not how the '06 comes out, you just need to do the two screws in the vents then starting at the bottom, carefully pop up the cover and pull it slowly towards you. At that point you can see the connections.

@lv42day - first I like your handle, very nice. Also, really would like to visit you - I love Puerto Rico!!! Third, if your PT is 2006 or newer, let me know. I have photos showing the steps to remove the center bezel.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 07:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Robin, I understand what your saying but the poster said he likes the way he's seen others paint their center dash and to my knowledge, no body with an 06 and newer PT has painted the center dash. I'm probably wrong on that as I'm sure somebody has, but I just haven't seen it.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 07:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Robin, I understand what your saying but the poster said he likes the way he's seen others paint their center dash and to my knowledge, no body with an 06 and newer PT has painted the center dash. I'm probably wrong on that as I'm sure somebody has, but I just haven't seen it.
ooooooooooooooohhhhh gotcha, okay. Well, there are a couple who have done some 'coverings' of theirs, and a few who've done the faux wood kits. I'm actually thinking about doing that on mine too. I really like the way they look, but the one I want is so darned expensive...can't go cheap in my PT...
Old 27 Mar 2012, 06:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

wood kit

this is what mine looks like

and i know GoingGreen just wrapped his in green vinyl.
Johnn7558 likes this.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 10:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

I opted for the wrap, instead of painting, for several reasons.
1. I could look at hundreds of color swatches at my local wrap shop to find my color, as opposed to hoping the paint I choose ends up looking okay.
2. The wrap is removable.
3. I was able to do the wrap myself...in my livingroom...watching Man vs. Wild.
4. Cheaper.

2006 - Limited - Green Hornet Edition - Konig - RVinyl - Pioneer
Old 28 Mar 2012, 12:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

sorry about that. its a 2003. so crewzin seems to have hit the nail on the head. sounds simple enough. i am just hesitant when i comes to pulling apart plastic dashes in the event that some thing snaps (its happened on more then one occasion for me).

probably going to be my weekend project to paint the interior. might do a mini write up to help others with the process. will also throw some photos of up of my pile. its a fixer upper to put it politely . but is coming along, little by little.

thanks for the replies, keep them coming
Old 28 Mar 2012, 03:41 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv42day View Post
...its a fixer upper to put it politely . but is coming along, little by little.

thanks for the replies, keep them coming
Sometimes I prefer the fixer uppers.

2006 - Limited - Green Hornet Edition - Konig - RVinyl - Pioneer
Old 28 Mar 2012, 08:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
I opted for the wrap, instead of painting, for several reasons.
1. I could look at hundreds of color swatches at my local wrap shop to find my color, as opposed to hoping the paint I choose ends up looking okay.
2. The wrap is removable.
3. I was able to do the wrap myself...in my livingroom...watching Man vs. Wild.
4. Cheaper.

How did you find a wrap shop? And were they real wrappers? Lol... I am thinking of getting a full car wrap, wonder what that would cost me???