Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Steering Column Boost Gauge (MOCK)

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2012, 06:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Steering Column Boost Gauge (MOCK)

So i got my steering column pod, still waiting on the srt gauge. Just did a quick mock on how it would look. The pod is needless to say a little big so im prolly gonna shorten it a bit. Id like to mound it there to still leave space for the tripodometer switch and my caution lights. Sucks it blocks out everything passed 80 mph but if im going faster no need to look then
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pod 2.jpg (54.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg pod 1.jpg (39.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg pod 3.jpg (36.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 25 Apr 2012, 06:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Steering Column Boost Gauge (MOCK)

That would look better on top of the dash, IMHO.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 06:28 pm
Young Cruiser

yea i mocked that to and it would mount good but i really want it on the steering column thats why i think im gonna trim it down a bit, My plan is to make it as OEM as possible specially with the srt-4 gauge. My goal is to make a srt-4 pt to spec in which i think Chrysler would have made it
Old 25 Apr 2012, 06:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can do what Jerry did and take the (he took both) left air vent out from the middle dash. It's round and would fit the gauge pod really well.

Jerry, show a pic of your gauges in the air vents.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 07:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

I too chose to mount mine on the steering column; it's as close to the gauges as possible without cutting up the front dash for a completely custom install.

Hope these pics help, and ignore the glycerol in the gauge; I topped it off after taking these pics of my gauges.

Installation -

I've got time to kill so I figured I'd provide some pictures of how I installed mine.

After you've found the appropriate way to mount your gauge you'll need to tap into your vac lines as well as provide power (where applicable) if your gauge is a lighted one.

Underneath your steering column is a bundle of wires; tap into this black wire with yellow stripe. This will enable you to light up your gauge in conjunction with your headlights/daytime lights.

As for ground, I chose the bolt that holds the trim to the vehicle. You'll have to sand off the bare metal a bit to get a good contact.

Afterward, you'll want to run your line toward the engine compartment. Whether your car is an automatic or manual, above where your clutch pedal would come out is a grommet available to poke a wire through. Use it.

Here is that same grommet, but from the engine compartment's view. You'll notice a black plate in the bottom corner there of the picture just underneath where I ran my vac/boost line; that's where the clutch pedal would be normally. My PT GT was an automatic.

Once you've snaked it up, the best place to tap into is the brake booster line coming out from the rear of your upper intake manifold. Here you'll see that I did not use the cheap plastic T that's normally included with a boost/vacuum gauge, instead I used a heavy duty brass fitting.

Here was the finished result. You'll also see my AEM UEGO wideband installed underneath the radio. I put it down there because it's not imperative to monitor at all times, only when I was tuning my vehicle.

PS Zipties are your friend!

Hope this helped!
Old 25 Apr 2012, 09:08 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
You can do what Jerry did and take the (he took both) left air vent out from the middle dash. It's round and would fit the gauge pod really well.

Jerry, show a pic of your gauges in the air vents.
I mounted the gauges into the two center a/c vents. They fit perfectly, with a little gentle persuasion,. I used the 2 5/8" size gauges because they filled the entire opening that was left after removing the vents. I then repainted (even put a couple airbrushed "reflections" on the perimeter of the new openings), the instrument bezel and "bobs yer uncle" I was done. I used an analog clock (retro style) in one side and a Nitrous gauge in the other. You could use the 2 1/16" inch gauges by simply using a filler plate first and then drilling a 2 1/16" hole in the filler plate to mount the gauge.

Everyone that has seen it live comments on how "right" it looks, but by now I can anticipate the next words out of their mouths. "How do you stand it with only half of your a/c in the summer or heat in the winter." Up to know only one person has really understood what really happened to those two functions when I did this mod. His comment was "cool mod and the a/c should still work fine". FINALLY, someone understood! Think about it, the fan is still turning a the same speed and still pushing the same amount of air. The air is being pushed through the two remaining vents (originally four) at a higher speed because of this. I have lived in Florida since 72 and since I did this mod around six years ago I haven't had one problem in the Florida heat or the day and a half of cold that we get every year. My left arm (the one by the remaining drivers side vent that) does get really cold at times, but that is just witness to what I just explained. The a/c still really works well! I did this mod before I joined up here or at the Crew so there are no step by step pictures or oratory to explain the process but I'm probably going to be changeing out the clock for a differant gauge soon, so I can get "after" shots of the mods to the area behind the bezel with some written descritions while I have it off----if anyone is interested?

Concerning the Plasic gauge housing that op wants to use, imho, its meant to be used on a dash top, not on the steering wheel. It's too wide to "look" right and covers up to much of the gauges behind it. It looks like an afterthought. You can trim some off of the bottom to make it shorter but you can't trim any of the width and that, in my opinion, is the part that is wrong with it. A thinner pod, like "Mr. K" showed above, would be the best option for the steering wheel that is available right now.

Personally, I would think seriously about using a three gauge pillar pod. Lots of SRT guys do.

I hope you don't take any of my comments the wrong way. They're only my opinion and you don't have to listen to any of my crap---my wife doesn't.

PLEASE click below

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 054 pistol grip shifter.jpg (57.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 4-18-2009-10.jpg (66.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 058.1 dash & t-bar shifter.jpg (95.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 058.3 dash & t-bar shifter.jpg (53.7 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by wwpptc; 25 Apr 2012 at 09:14 pm.
Old 26 Apr 2012, 04:50 pm
Young Cruiser

too cool thanks for all the help guys, hopefully i can knock this out but i know if i get stuck i got the right place to check for advice
Old 26 Apr 2012, 05:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yep, keep us updated!
Old 26 Apr 2012, 07:31 pm
Young Cruiser

i took some pix of the wires and vaccum hose, i dont know if they would need modification because they did come from the srt-4. They look real short and i dont know if there is a place i could just plug in the power line and if there is a outlet already there for the vaccum line. Just want your guys opinion if you think any modifications are needed
Old 26 Apr 2012, 07:33 pm
Young Cruiser

forgot the pix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg full.jpg (91.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg power.jpg (90.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg vaccum.jpg (86.4 KB, 31 views)