PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
shifter replacement for automatic and other bits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Mar 2004, 05:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default shifter replacement for automatic and other bits

hey,

i tried posting here awhile ago, but being new to the world of the crusier, I was too overwhelmed by the level of dedication and financial investment that all these wonderful mods require. I'm trying to get into it now, so please bear with me.

I first asked about adding the compass after market, and I think I bit off more than I could chew and got scared away from the mod area, so this time I'm starting small, and hopefully I can work my way to being a comfortable member of the community, cause right now it's all very greek to me.

when we were looking to buy the PT, I noticed all the new cars had this retro gear shift that was a ball on top of a stick, but we wound up purchasing a used car which had a pretty standard shifter. Now looking through these forums I noticed replacements for the newer type of shift, and I was wondering if it was possible to convert the regular style to the ball on top style, and if so, how much work is involved and where is the best place to get one? I think I would just get a standard black one to match the stylings of the newer model.

After this simple mod, I'm not sure where to go from there. Some ideas besides the compass one is I'd like to get a remote starter installed, I'd like to replace the dash gages with ones that where backlit white during the night (is there such a thing?), maybe the cruise control mod (how much does that cost as well?), perhaps get the outlet installed in the cargo area. I dig the chrome stuff, but it looks like there is just way too much to chrome to make it financially feasible for me, so I'd probably like to keep to the subtle touches. Any recommendations? The car is a I believe 2001 or 2002 basic with Tan exterior and interior, power windows and locks. The front passenger seat has the compartment beneath, but can't fold flat if that helps with the id.

Thanks!
Old 18 Mar 2004, 06:43 pm
Young Cruiser

hi, if someone hasn't already welcomed you I would like to be the first. I am not the one usually giving out advice but I know some of the stuff that you are talking about really doesn't take all the much work, like the gear shift. I am not too sure if there is a ball shifter for the 01' or 02' cruiser, but i know there is a chrome shifter. SHop around the the ptlinks home page through the links for parts. Different sites have different products and prices.
02\' Patriot Blue Cruiser, dual cat back exhaust, blue under car lights, airaid cold air intake, throttle body spacer and custom sound system.*Xenon front bumper (crusher), polished aluminum gas door.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 08:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

There's definitely a shift-ball option. You need to get a Kruzr Shiftr for '01 and '02 Cruisers - then you can add the shift ball of your choice. We have the Kruzr Shiftr on our '01 and our '02 PT Cruisers and they're just about our favorite mods.

Click the link below to see/order them. They're a breeze to install.

http://www.kustomkruzr.com/shiftr.html

You can find some very interesting shift balls at:

http://www.flameball.com

Old 18 Mar 2004, 09:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well there certinly is a ball shifter for the 01 or 02 PT. Did it myself and it's really easy. Chrome stick and choice of "Q" ball, Satin ball or "8" ball all for $79. I got mine at www.cruiserbits.com

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 09:51 pm
Young Cruiser

Does anyone know of another company besides flameball that will hollow the shifter shaft so that the wires go can go through? I ask for this reason: if you have an auto then certain flameball knobs will not go on the stick due to the button configuration. I do believe that cruiserbits makes the kind of stick that continually holds in the button (not sure, thats what the guy from their service department told me), but its not hollow so the wires would have to go down the outsides. same for the kruzr-shiftr, its not hollow. [xx(] so does anyone know who makes a hollow auto stick shaft?
02\' Patriot Blue Cruiser, dual cat back exhaust, blue under car lights, airaid cold air intake, throttle body spacer and custom sound system.*Xenon front bumper (crusher), polished aluminum gas door.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 11:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

You can adapt the 2003 & newer shift to the older PTs. I've done this on my 2002.

The shifter assembly must be purchased from Chrysler, along with either a grey or white ball.

The flor console must be removed to access the shifter assembly.
It's about an hour job to swap them.

I think there is a guide at www.ptdiy.net in the pit area.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 01:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the welcomes! This sure is a friendly bunch of people!

The Kruzr Shiftr does promising, although from what I am gathering you push down on the stick to shift? Is it a hard push or a gentle one, is it something that you think is going to hurt the system over time, all that downward pressure?

MX-5, how much did this part from Chrysler set you back? Perhpas it is worth it if its around the same price, but I doubt it.

I hit eBay today and did some damage. I purchased an overhead cluster (see other thread) and cargo net for the back. I also noticed an OEM kit for the Fog Lights and a kit to add cruise control, but I think I have to ease my way into those.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 04:13 am
Fanatic Cruiser

On the OEM fog light kit, there's a gentleman named Jeff Hunter under the VENDORS section who sell them for $114.40 so don't bid higher than that. The kit is complete with instructions but may have a small problem. My wife has a early 02 base model and it's dash harness came with fog light wiring but the engine harness didn't have it so the wiring instructions were a little off. Come back to the Forum if you have any problems.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 09:06 am
Cool Cruiser

I thought the parts price, part numbers, and installation guide was at www.ptdiy.net ?

The parts were around $40.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 05:38 pm
Young Cruiser

MX-5, but are the 03' and newer versions hollow so that the wires for the flameball can run through it?