Not Happy with A-Pillar Gauge Pod Purchase

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 1 Post By myckee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Feb 2015, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs down Not Happy with A-Pillar Gauge Pod Purchase

I wanted to add some additional gauges to my 2005 GT. Really I mainly wanted a boost gauge but also found a cool Autometer analog clock I liked. So after searching the internet I decided on a three-gauge pillar pod from Modern Performance. It came in light gray and was supposed to match the interior of my GT. Here's the listing:

Well, this was a big mistake. I really only needed a two gauge pillar pod but decide on this three gauge model because it came in the OEM color and would require no painting. I though I'd find an inexpensive third gauge or use a gauge-style mount for the Diablorsport Trinity I just got.

But the color isn't even close. It's really cream or bone colored similar to the pillar color of the PT's with taupe interiors. Ahhhh!

Also, the fit was not very good. It leaves a wide gap on the back side that the little plastic push retainers that came with it will not handle in any way or form. NitroPT has a thread where he shows how he made his pillar pod fit nicely by gluing it to the original pillar cover while held in place with clamps. I could have done that too. But the color mismatch kind of kills the deal for me.

Additionally, another deal killer is that the design will not allow a gauge with a very long body to be installed in the middle pod. The two gauges I have now are both Autometer Ultra Lite II versions. And both have rather long bodies. So they are not usable in the middle pod. And as you can see in the photo, the pillar pod is actually painted creme color. The plastic is black. It's not made out of colored plastic like the original pillar covers.

Luckily the very good folks at Modern Performance agreed to take this back for a refund and not charge a stocking fee. That's good because I now plan to buy an Autometer brand two gauge pillar pod (if I can find one) and then paint it to match myself. That's what I likely should have done to begin with.

I will have to eat the shipping cost both ways on the deal. And that's really the part that sucks. If anyone likes the color of this item and wants it, I will ship it to them for a flat $60 and I pay shipping to the lower 48 states. But speak quickly, because otherwise it goes back to Modern Performance tomorrow.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Feb 2015 at 05:29 pm.
Old 13 Feb 2015, 05:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Not Happy with A-Pillar Gauge Pod Purchase

I believe I voted for the two gage pod originally. Also get you a spare piller trim to use for this.
NitroPT likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Feb 2015, 05:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Wow that's crazy! You'd think they would know the difference between light grey and tan/beige!!

Well sorry for the expenses you incurred on that! I almost broke down and bought the exact same one. I am glad I waited for your post!
Old 13 Feb 2015, 06:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You are going to have the same gauge fit issue with the two pod from auto meter Todd. Also,theirs is more a universal fItmit which I am pretty sure you are not going to care for. Maybe you should consider doing the mod
Like I did except just paint it instead of hydro. You have noticed I had to drill holes in the stock pillar after overlaying the 3 pod pillar?

It's all my opinion.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
Old 13 Feb 2015, 09:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yeah. But if I'm going to do all that, I'm going with a two gauge setup. So this baby goes back.

I've been looking at the Autometer version online and it does not look at nice. Not sure yet what the next move will be. I sure wish someone made a nice column mount for the PT.

And Mike, I'm glad I was able to post this before you bought yours. We need to come up with a new and better way to do this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Feb 2015 at 09:37 pm.
Old 14 Feb 2015, 01:15 am
Senior Cruiser

Unfortunately there is probably only one manufacturer of these, regardless of the name on the package. If there are more than 1 then they are probably using the same crappy mold. If you look in the archives, it appears several years ago Autometer actually did have a correct color grey cover and from the looks of them they fit fairly well. Now that customizing parts for these have pretty much dried up we are left with the junkier stuff.

Even the NOS Stewart Warner dual pod I have is a very poor fit now that I have actually tried it against a spare pillar. The sides are off a bit and the top portion is not fitting well at all. I fully understand why Nitro went to all the lengths he did to make the covers fit! I likely will have no choice but to do this too. No sense in getting another one with similar fitment issues.

Well I too wish they made a column pod for our cars. I did end up by buying a column pod on ebay, for $12 shipped, for a Volkswagen Jetta. It appears to have similar contours our column. It has been sitting at my drop box in Ogdensburg, NY for a few weeks now and I haven't had a chance to drive down there to pick it up. Once I finally go down there to get it, I will post some pics and comment on the fit; or lack thereof!! I hope it fits though!
3rcruiser likes this.

Last edited by myckee; 14 Feb 2015 at 01:20 am.