Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Adding an Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Aug 2015, 08:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Adding an Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror

Hi, guys. Did a search on this, but didn't find anything. I'd like to add an auto-dimming rear-view mirror to my 2002 Touring model. I have the overhead console with compass and temp, so I thought I'd go simple and just add a basic auto-dimming rear-view mirror.

I picked up a basic auto-dimming mirror online for a Chrysler Pacifica for $19.95, figuring it would just need 12v and ground to work. There is a sensor mounted in a clip on housing which fits around the wedge part that attaches to the windshield. There is also a connector on the back of the mirror with 7 male pins. It didn't come with any wiring diagram or a harness, so I was wondering if this size of connector is common for a basic auto-dim mirror, and if someone would be able to tell me which pins are for which signals?

I tried doing a Google search for a wiring diagram, and haven't found one yet. If anybody has any knowledge of how to wire these things up, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks very much,
Steve
Old 05 Sep 2015, 03:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Adding an Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror

After receiving many views, but not one single response, I decided to dig into this question a little deeper on my own. I spoke to a Chrysler Parts Department guy about what I was trying to do and we were able to identify a 7 pin harness for the auto-dimming rear-view mirror from a Pacifica. Now, I need some input on what I found from those of you with some electrical experience.

These were the descriptions of the connections for the mirror harness:
1.) Fused Accessory Relay Output
2.) Ground
3.) Back-Up Lamp Signal
4.) Auto Day/Night Mirror (+)
5.) Auto Day/Night Mirror (-)
6.) no connection
7.) Automatic Headlamp Signal

If I only intend to use the auto-dimming feature of this mirror when driving at night by manually pushing in the "Auto" button at the bottom to turn it on and turn it off when done by pushing in the "Off" button, would I only need the (+) and (-) connections listed above, with perhaps an in-line fuse wired into the (+) wire for safety ? I'd be really interested in everyone's input on this.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 26 Sep 2015, 06:45 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 10 Nov 2016 at 06:33 pm.
Old 26 Sep 2015, 07:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wish I could help you out, man, but even before the two brain surgeries I had, electrical work was something that confused the hell out of me. Now, it's even worse. I can trace one wire at a time and locate problems or run a wire to something, but readind schematics is out of the question nowadays. I don't have the cognitive skills that requires. If I have a diagram in front of me, I have to go back and forth to it multiple times in order to get things right. And that's just on simple stuff. Good luck with it is all I can say and I hope someone here can help you out. If not, you might try allpar.com. There's some pretty sharp guys over there too.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 27 Sep 2015, 01:06 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the replies, guys. If I can't find a donor harness from a Pacifica in a junkyard, I may just order the Mopar part # that I was given by the parts department of our local Chrysler dealership. This will at a minimum give me the correst connector to plug into the back of my mirror and some wire length once I decide which wires to connect, using sanatanadharma's suggestions above.