Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Shifter Knob Wiring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2004, 01:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Shifter Knob Wiring

I got the light up Flameball shifter knob from www.Seriouscruiser.com. However, I'm having trouble trying to find an appropriate lighting wire to clamp to. Is there a published wiring diagram for the PT somewhere?

Also, if anyone else has one of these light up knobs, should the wire go down inside the stock shift level, or should I get a new metal sleeve to hide the wire? Thanks in advance to anyone who answers! This PT community is the best!

[8)]
Old 18 May 2004, 01:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I can't help you with the wiring, but I do have a question for you. Does the flameball shifter knob seem to be pretty sturdy? Or is it lightweight cheap plastic with a light in it. It looks pretty slick either way.
Old 18 May 2004, 01:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Chromed, I feels pretty sturdy. It's a solid ball of mutli-colored plastic with the hole drilled for the light bulb and the shift stem. The "flames" are produced by sanding the outside of the ball, it seems to me. It's attached by three allen screws around the circumference of the metal base. I've been driving with it now for the past three days it feels different from the leather cobra head shifter, but it's all good. Wish I could tell you how it lights up. I ordered the Haynes PT Cruiser manual from the local Pep Boys. I hope it has the info I need. I'll keep you posted.

Another question came to me: Is there a way to lengthen the shifter stem? If you've seen any pics of the "Rat Fink" type cars you know what I mean.
Old 18 May 2004, 05:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

IIRC folks with Automatics typically run the wire down through the shaft. If you've got a 5 spd the usual method is to run the wire down the back of the stick (between the stick and dash) and cover it with metal/aluminum tape. Where to tie in will depend on how much juice it requires. Chances are you'd be fine splicing in at the lighter socket right in front of the shifter, just remember to put a in-line fuse on there if it doesn't come with one.
Old 31 May 2004, 02:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Goldmember

I have one its great however its tricky to hide the wire, I think that I found the solution using a piece of an old chrome antennia cut to length and run the wires inside and silcone it the Kustom Kruiser Shifter