PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
best option for difficult to see gauges

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2015, 11:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default best option for difficult to see gauges

Ok, so I love my pt. I love the styling inside, and out, but I've found the the instrument cluster is nearly impossible to see at dusk, and dawn, because of the dimly lit gauges, and the silver faces. I was looking at the indiglow gauges on ebay, or possibly going led. I was just wondering what others have done to address this problem, and what my best option may be. Thanks for your input.
Old 07 Nov 2015, 06:56 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: best option for difficult to see gauges

Leave your headlights off till you need them.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 07 Nov 2015, 07:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaGTCruiser View Post
Ok, so I love my pt. I love the styling inside, and out, but I've found the the instrument cluster is nearly impossible to see at dusk, and dawn, because of the dimly lit gauges, and the silver faces. I was looking at the indiglow gauges on ebay, or possibly going led. I was just wondering what others have done to address this problem, and what my best option may be. Thanks for your input.
Those gauges should not be that dimly lit. I suspect you may have a bulb or two burned out in the cluster. If possibly compare yours to another similar PT.
Old 07 Nov 2015, 08:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Also, on the left stalk of the multi function switch (the one that controls your turn signals), there should be a ring you and turn to adjust the brightness of the gauge lights.
Old 07 Nov 2015, 09:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

Annoying, isn't it?

try the amazon link in the firs post here
Glow guages dash kit - any good?

just FYI you're not alone. in certain lights they just disappear. Speedo Is Hard to See
Gkon likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 07 Nov 2015 at 12:17 pm.
Old 07 Nov 2015, 07:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yeah man, it sucks. Before I purchased my cruiser, I searched the web to see what people were saying, and I came across a few posts about difficult to read gauges. I figured it would be something I could deal with, but wow, they really are nearly impossible to see in certain light. I have the brightness turned all the way up, and there are no dark spots indicating a blown bulb. I guess I'll just get the indiglow gauges, because I don't like not being able to see the gauges. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 07 Nov 2015, 08:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Without starting another thread, I have another question. Where is the calibration for the speedo located? Since no one seems to make a gauge kit for the gt's, can I just pick up an NA gauge cluster from the junkyard, and than install the glo gauges over those. I don't ever intend to go 140mph.
Old 07 Nov 2015, 11:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Without starting another thread, I have another question. Where is the calibration for the speedo located? Since no one seems to make a gauge kit for the gt's, can I just pick up an NA gauge cluster from the junkyard, and than install the glo gauges over those. I don't ever intend to go 140mph.
No. The NA gauge cluster and GT cluster are not interchangeable. I tried going the other way installing a GT cluster in an NA. The gauges themselves work but the warning lights and gear selector indicator were all screwed up.
Old 08 Nov 2015, 04:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
You are so right, and changing the intensity doesn't help much either, I think it's the green of the numbers on the speedo. What I finally ended up doing on my 2003 is using a single 12V led, used double sided tape to secure it to the steering column and put an extension wire on it and I plug it into the aux powerplug at the front of the console so it turns off/on with the ignition. Then I dim down the dash lights till nearly off and the speedo is like daylight would illuminate. Kinda hoaky but it works.

Last edited by Brassarl; 08 Nov 2015 at 05:01 am.
Old 08 Nov 2015, 11:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

I appreciate all the input guys, I'm gonna try replacing the gauge bulbs with led's since they're cheap, and see where that gets me.
Handy_Cruiser and Gkon like this.