Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Neon R/T SRT-4 steering wheel swap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Dec 2015, 09:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Neon R/T SRT-4 steering wheel swap

Anyone knows if it fits... the steering wheel that comes with these cars is ugly and too big. I will get one to swap !

Old 18 Dec 2015, 07:03 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Neon R/T SRT-4 steering wheel swap

Measure how deep the center is to where it mounts. I put an Acura wheel in a civic and found it positioned the wheel closer to the signal stalk. On my test drive I couldn't avoid hitting the wipers and signals.
Old 19 Dec 2015, 02:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

If that's your particular preference you can Google plenty of images of bare bones steering wheels with the air bag removed for both cars. You should be able to spot any differences in mounting. Then it up to you to "go where no man has gone before" because the Neon SRT4 wheel is actually the ugly sister. Be sure to do something about the Dodge emblem and the cheesy basket weave/fiber optic/waffle pattern on the wheel. If it's smaller like you say, is it going to block the view of the cruiser gauges? Is the color exactly right for the Cruiser interior?

The Cruiser steering wheel is what it is because the designers were attempting to keep the faith with the over all retro style of the vehicle and still squeeze in an air bag. The SRT4 wheel is meant to be generic 2003 sporty car and so is a negative move away from the original intent of the designers.

I do know of a past owner that put a Viper steering wheel, which is very similar looking to the SRT4, in his Cruiser. But he was a Viper fanboy and was not destined to ever own one, so he did the wheel, the Viper shift knob, the SRT seats, the jacket, the keyring, etc. etc. It looks like stink to me and it did block the view of the gauges but he liked it.

Old 23 Dec 2015, 04:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a viper wheel with no airbag if you want to try it it's not in perfect shape but it would work to see if it fits. Your clock spring might have to be modified but idk. I'm not a pt cruiser guy I'm a neon guy so idk anything about these cars. (I think the wheel looked nice in my 1gn but I guess people on here don't like it) and looking around the neon game is so different especially when it comes to visual mods it seems that pt owners (like yourself) like flashy stuff like chrome and interior accents. Neons are a totally different world.