Question about doing a hardwire

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 2 Post By story97

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Feb 2016, 06:49 am
Young Cruiser

Default Question about doing a hardwire

Think this is the right forum. if not someone just let me know and I'll correct it.

Recently I put a dashcam in my mom's 07 cruiser (she Loves this car). I installed a mini 0806 behind the rear view mirror (to hide) and it works like a charm.

I already have a cig lighter adapter with two usb ports so i ran a usb riboon cable around the headliner, down the a post, under the rubber seal and under the floor mat to come out right by the cig lighter.

this works, but two problems. 1. it's a hack job, you can see the ribbon cable on both sides of the floor mats although barely. 2. it creates an issue. if you use the other usb port on her Galaxy Note 3 it seems to suck enough power that the camera constantly power cycles.

I ordered a hard wire install kit (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00). I will connect the camera to a fuse that is only powered when the key is on. but here's the problem. if I understand right (i haven't looked yet) in 07 there is no longer a fuse box in the cabin. it's a module in the engine compartment. From the pictures I saw i don't see how I'm going to wire this thing up.

does this make sense? does anyone know how I should proceed? i didn't expect this. I thought there'd be an internal fuse box I could get to
Old 24 Feb 2016, 07:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Question about doing a hardwire

I have a dash cam, and I ran the wire just about the same as you, except when you come down the A pillar, you can pull up the door weatherstripping and remove the kick panel, you will have to remove the sill plate to get to one end of the weatherstripping. The sill plate just lifts up, it's held with clips. You will only need to pull out the weatherstripping up to about the top of the dash. Then between the dash and the A pillar there is just enough of a crack to slide the wire into. This then allows you to take the wire up under the dash and over to the lighter and the wire will be completely hidden.

I don't know about tapping a source for a hardwire, your car has the CANbus system which can be troublesome if you just tap anywhere. You could get another USB adaptor and use the socket inside the center console for any other device. I've got a double socket and 2 USB port adaptor plugged into the socket under the dash as I also have an MP3 adaptor plugged into one socket and the other socket is the cord from the camera. I haven't had any problems with the camera cycling, but I haven't really had a need to also plug something else into one of the USB ports at the same time.
NitroPT likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
149k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 24 Feb 2016 at 08:12 am.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 08:34 am
Young Cruiser

thanks for the reply. I'm going to look and see if i can figure out the same thing you did.

you said something about 'other' cig lighter. is there two? i only find one socket. or did i misunderstand
Old 24 Feb 2016, 08:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by story97 View Post
thanks for the reply. I'm going to look and see if i can figure out the same thing you did.

you said something about 'other' cig lighter. is there two? i only find one socket. or did i misunderstand
Inside the center console, under the second door, there should be another power outlet. That one stays hot even with the ignition off, the one under the dash is only hot when the ignition switch is on or in accessory position.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 24 Feb 2016, 09:45 am
Young Cruiser

lol I didn't even realize there was one in the center console. i'll get another usb adapter and stick it in there. thanks!
rckstein and rob342 like this.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 10:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by story97 View Post
lol I didn't even realize there was one in the center console. i'll get another usb adapter and stick it in there. thanks!
I think that would be your easiest fix, without running the risk of tapping into some wire that has the potential of causing other issues. In the center console, there is also a small slot that you can put the cord in from your device, and still close the door without pinching the cord.

USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 24 Feb 2016 at 10:28 am.