Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Going to hard wire a dash cam in the PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2016, 12:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Going to hard wire a dash cam in the PT Cruiser

I bought a dash cam last year for my truck but never got around to hardwiring it. I found the kit I bought with it today and plan on installing it on my next day off. I will post pics of it once its installed. Here is the dash cam and hardwire kit if any of you are interested.

Dashcam

Hardwire kit

Also , its a bit late but I installed this radio in it this past Sunday. So far I love it.
Old 01 Apr 2016, 11:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Going to hard wire a dash cam in the PT Cruiser

I know I said I would be doing this last month but being a dad caught up to me and I just got around to it tonight. I also bought a different cam to put in the cruiser. I got this from amazon for a decent deal. It comes with a back up cam that I will install later. I used the same hardwire kit and a simple add a fuse to make the connection to the number 17 fuse. It will now come on and off with the car ignition. The camera itself is not noticeable unless looking right at it as it blends in with the back of the mirror. Overall the job took about 30 mins to install. Not bad for added security. I live in a college town with a lot of kids that dont know how to drive. I will try to post some vids on my next day off if any one would like to see them,
Old 06 May 2016, 03:39 am
Young Cruiser

having the camera so far away from the glass, how much reflection do you get?

Also, where did you entered the console with the hardwire?
Old 06 May 2016, 07:15 am
Senior Cruiser

Castro25, here's how I solved getting the unit wiring to the innards of the dash. Although your wires are coming from the rear view mirror so to this same point of logical entry your wire'd be hanging down from the mirror.

Try routing the wire under the header cloth at the top of the windshield, under the side windshield post cover and snake it under the dash from the side of the dash. The end result would be not to drill an unnecessary hole in the dash but use an existing entry point!

My rear view camera kit including monitor, was $29.95 on Amazon. Very satisfactory. Very reasonable. This monitor'll accept two feeds. See second feed wire, it's the yellow RCA device hanging from under the back of the floor consul. Good luck

Happy Ptin, ptprice

Monitor detail for back up camera 001.jpg

Monitor detail for back up camera 002.jpg

Monitor detail for back up camera 006.jpg

Amazon add for back up camera.jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 06 May 2016 at 07:27 am.
Old 02 Aug 2016, 03:39 am
Young Cruiser

Smile Re: Going to hard wire a dash cam in the PT Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcb View Post
having the camera so far away from the glass, how much reflection do you get?

Also, where did you entered the console with the hardwire?
I ordered a Blackbox G1WX. It doesn't do great in heat, but it has Parking Mode and motion detection, so it can catch people spraying my car with phosphoric acid or messing with it.

I used a powerbank, because I couldn't get anyone before this date to post about how to hardwire it in. They just made comments about "finding a live wire". All but the clock wire aren't live in my 2007. The powerbank is cheap, works for days. Mine is solar, bought it at a grocery store.

I caught a county worker spraying the back rear left quarterpanel with the phosphoric acid. It gives you headaches, migraines, and makes your eyes tear. I watched a drug dealer sell drugs to a utility guy once, and they went after me after that. I also turned in a drug-dealing chomo who molested a young girl, and this camera, once I got it working correctly, helped me find out about the rest of the people.

Mine takes up to 32GB of movies. I would not hardwire it into the car-too easy to make a mistake, or have someone trigger the camera until the battery wears down. Instead, use a power bank-it will draw from it like it does the normal plug these fit into the lighter.