• 1 Post By Gkon
  • 3 Post By leftyjay
  • 1 Post By leftyjay
  • 1 Post By leftyjay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 May 2016, 05:44 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Steering Wheel Spoke Covers DIY

The lady that owned my PT before me had a bad habit of digging her nails into the silver finish on the steering wheel spokes. she had scraped them down to the plastic. she did the same thing with the shifter ball (which was silver too).

i recently changed the shifter to a black leather knob that sits higher and has a better feel.

anyway...i was looking at a way i could either repaint the spokes or cover them somehow. thought about tennis racket grip tape. but then i ran across 8 1/2" by 11" leather sheets at Michael's. Soft leather that you can stretch around the spokes. so i bought a sheet and some thick upholstery thread and some big long needles. take you smart phone with you because you can get coupons online and use them. i ended up getting 40% off.

made a template out of cloth and transferred it over to the leather. (by the way, the measurements are 4 1/4" by 2 3/4" by 5")

then i used a nail to punch holes along the edges. took about 10-12 holes per edge. it dont have to be precise, just have to be the same amount on both edges.

thread both needles up and place the piece on the spoke. face it towards you and stitch it up like you would your tennis shoes (baseball stitch). keep it loose so you can turn it around and face the stitches to the back. then just use one of the needles to help tighten up the threads. the leather will stretch and close perfectly around the spokes. tie a knot and cut it and you're done.

then you rotate it so the stitching is in the back. then tighten up the stitching

and the final results....

Old 30 May 2016, 05:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Steering Wheel Spoke Covers DIY

That was pretty ingenious

And if you wanted a different look and a little pizzazz, you could find some leather close to the body color of the PT. You should have come out with these during the glory days of the PT, you might have been on Shark Tank and made a deal

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
149k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 30 May 2016 at 05:56 pm.
Old 30 May 2016, 06:30 pm
Young Cruiser

I'm sure you can get leather or any other stretchable material in any color. If you know how to use a needle and thread, this is a pretty easy mod.

Wiished i was into PTs 10 years ago. I would've made these for my PT back then also.
rckstein likes this.
Old 31 May 2016, 03:06 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Holy cow! I have some extra upholstery in orange from a junk 03 Dream. I could see that on the steering wheel spokes.
Now to find a junk 02 Dream again and snag some gold for that wheel.
This is a great idea! Low buck and looks great.
Thanks.
rckstein likes this.
Old 31 May 2016, 06:58 am
Senior Cruiser

Nice work, leftyjay!

As a person who formerly made his living making leather accessories and clothing, I appreciate your handywork! Looks great!
rckstein likes this.
Old 31 May 2016, 08:35 am
Young Cruiser

the idea came to me watching youtube videos of people sewing on those expensive leather steering wheel covers. i overlapped the leather slightly to cover up the scratches. the photos make it look like it a different color/shade, but it really looks like an exact match. almost like it was meant to look.

would've been nice to paint the spokes back to original. seemed like too much work to take the wheel off and disconnect everything.
rckstein, PTpreacher and Gkon like this.
Old 31 May 2016, 10:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyjay View Post
the idea came to me watching youtube videos of people sewing on those expensive leather steering wheel covers. i overlapped the leather slightly to cover up the scratches. the photos make it look like it a different color/shade, but it really looks like an exact match. almost like it was meant to look.

would've been nice to paint the spokes back to original. seemed like too much work to take the wheel off and disconnect everything.
Exactly, you can have the leather blend in and not stand out, or a contrasting or complimentary color if you do want it to stand out. They also make some after-market chrome covers that you can slip over the spokes, for yet a different look.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
149k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 31 May 2016, 02:45 pm
Young Cruiser

unless those chrome covers are 2 pieces that snap together or wrap around the spoke completely, they wont stay in place. plus, you'll probably feel them on that back edge. i looked online for those. they look more like a letter (c) that snaps on. is there double sided tape that holds it in place? plus they are $40-50??? naaaa

i like the under $10 look
rckstein likes this.
Old 31 May 2016, 02:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Exactly, you can have the leather blend in and not stand out, or a contrasting or complimentary color if you do want it to stand out. They also make some after-market chrome covers that you can slip over the spokes, for yet a different look.
i imagine hobby lobby has a bunch of colors in leather to choose from. even different textures. Michaels had red, tan, brown, blue, and black in 8.5 x 11 pieces. If all else fails, you can die this leather.
rckstein likes this.
Old 10 Jun 2016, 11:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Nice job, this idea is great!