Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear Passenger Seat Stuck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2016, 01:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Rear Passenger Seat Stuck

I know what the regulars are thinking, not another newbie posting the same topic posted in other parts of the forum already. Cars are not my strong suit. I'm hoping some forum folks can help me here.

I have a 2008 PT Cruiser with 89K on it. It's in need of some TLC, but it's biggest issue next to needing new motor mounts and some wheel covers is the rear passenger side seat is stuck in a precarious position.

I saw this thread Rear Passenger Seat Latch Problem but this is just a tad different.

I took my seats out during a move from one house to another across town, when I put the seats back in, I was in a hurry the next morning. I put the driver side passenger seat in first, then I hoisted that massive passenger seat in and dropped it into the right side latch point first.

Then realized I did it all wrong.

I should have put the right passenger seat in first on the left latch and then dropped it down on the right receptor on the chassis. Then put in the driver side passenger seat.

Well wouldn't you know it, when I dropped that massive rear-passenger seat down on the right receptacle, it wedged the j-hook past the metal cross bar catch point.

I can't latch the left side until the seat is reset so that the left latch is on the catch bar of it's receptacle, then drop the seat down onto the right receptacle. Now the darn thing won't come out of the receptor, it's stuck in there.

I took out the driver side rear seat and the passenger rear seat is still stuck.

That metal cross bar in the right receptacle for the right latch that is welded to the chassis, I'd hate to have to cut that to get the seat out, but will if I have to. I saw mention in another post about using WD-40 or some metal lubricant for latches, would that work here?

I'm fearful that the weight of the seat pushed the j-hook past the cross bar and by shear weight and force pushed it's way in there. Anything less than brute force may not get it out again.

Do I need to take out the front passenger seat, it can't lead forward far enough for me to swing the rear passenger seat around to wiggle it out of it's stuck position.

I have combed these forums looking for someone else who has done this and no luck.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this would be immensely helpful.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 04:10 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Passenger Seat Stuck

I'm trying to understand where you say it's stuck...can you post a few pictures..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 18 Jul 2016, 07:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

Maybe get someone that has some upper body strength to help you. While you pull on the release lever, have them yank on the seat. IDK, just speculating.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 18 Jul 2016, 08:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If the J-hook has wedged into the well past the crossbar, I would get something I could wedge between the front of the stuck seat and the floor board. Then I would pry up is the direction that would free the j-hook.

PS: I was dealing with something similar just yesterday while trying to remove the back seats from my 2007 PT convertible. The back seats use the j-hooks and crossbars. But for some reason Chrysler decided to REMOVE the levers to the release the j-hooks. Even though I can clearly see the levers in online photos of some PT convertibles, they are gone on the 2007. The seats will easy click into place when installed. But they don't come out with removing the crossbars.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 18 Jul 2016 at 08:53 am.

Tags
hook, rear seats, receptacle, reinstall