PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cell Phone Mounts!

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jul 2016, 04:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Cell Phone Mounts!

I just bought a 2006 Touring (not turbo) with only 27,000 miles on it. Interior is immaculate.
Now....to bring it into the 21st century, I need a place to mount my cell phone, as I use it for GPS and, of course, making calls. WHERE in da hail does a person mount a danged cell phone??? The vents are horrible for any traditional vent mounts There's not much of a dashboard or windshield to mount a holder, and if I do, I block my view of the road The cupholders are so low, that a cup holder mount doesn't reach up high enough to actually be able to touch the screen
What has everyone else done to be able to touch their cell phones while driving?
Old 26 Jul 2016, 04:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cell Phone Mounts!

Welcome to the forum. A few Ideas.....

Universal Air Vent Cell Phone Mount

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 26 Jul 2016, 04:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You might also consider the good ol' tried and true windshield mount:

And welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!
Old 26 Jul 2016, 05:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

What I'm using right now...

...and that little orange strap is 1 of these.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 26 Jul 2016, 05:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

If I'm using my phone for GPS, I also have my bluetooth adaptor on and am listening to music from my phone, so when navigating, I don't need to look at the phone screen as Google Maps will decrease the music volume some, not totally, and announce over the radio the navigation route, very convenient and all hands free.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
149k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 27 Jul 2016 at 08:06 am.
Old 26 Jul 2016, 06:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
If I'm using my phone for GPS, I also have my bluetooth adaptor on and am listening to music from my phone, so when navigating, I don't need to look at the phone screen as Google Maps will decrease the music volume some, not totally, and announce over the radio the navigation route, very convenient and all hands free.
I use a Bluetooth headset when I'm on long drives, most times I leave it the mount.
rckstein and VsandFords like this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 26 Jul 2016, 07:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I got this one - about $10.
Suction mount - flexible neck.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Jul 2016, 07:57 am
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from the easy bake oven state, Texas.
BlondStorm likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 27 Jul 2016, 09:07 am
Senior Cruiser

True, it might be the 21st century, but do we really need all this crap? Before the advent of GPS I managed to find my way around America by plannin' ahead with an antiquated navigation system called "ROAD MAPS".
Before cell phones I listened to rock on an AM or FM station.
I give wide birth to every yahoo I see drivin' with a hands off head set or a cell phone glued to their ear while they negotiate turns one handed. All the while puttin' on make up and fixin' their hair. That's called 'FARKING" by the way.
No matter how efficient the cell phone mount is or if it's just a quick glance at the GPS info, It all lends to that driver being a road hazard. An accident waitin' to happen. Plan trips ahead of time. That last minute instruction from the GPS voice that you've screwed up and "turn around at the next street" has probably caused more avoidable accidents than can be imagined.
Turn off cell phone while in the car and become fully attentive to what your doin', bein' a safe driver. Every second eyes are not on the road at highway speeds, hundreds of feet of visual input are missed. Every time there's a conversation on that cell phone while drivin', even if it's hands free is a true distraction from the responsibility of exclusive concentration on the road.
The human mind is not built for "multi-tasking". True it can be done, but every facet of that endeavor will be less than 100%.
That's why SOOO BIG doesn't have any dents!
Happy Ptin', ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 27 Jul 2016 at 09:12 am. Reason: additional ranting
Old 27 Jul 2016, 09:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
True, it might be the 21st century, but do we really need all this crap? Before the advent of GPS I managed to find my way around America by plannin' ahead with an antiquated navigation system called "ROAD MAPS".
Before cell phones I listened to rock on an AM or FM station.
I give wide birth to every yahoo I see drivin' with a hands off head set or a cell phone glued to their ear while they negotiate turns one handed. All the while puttin' on make up and fixin' their hair. That's called 'FARKING" by the way.
No matter how efficient the cell phone mount is or if it's just a quick glance at the GPS info, It all lends to that driver being a road hazard. An accident waitin' to happen. Plan trips ahead of time. That last minute instruction from the GPS voice that you've screwed up and "turn around at the next street" has probably caused more avoidable accidents than can be imagined.
Turn off cell phone while in the car and become fully attentive to what your doin', bein' a safe driver. Every second eyes are not on the road at highway speeds, hundreds of feet of visual input are missed. Every time there's a conversation on that cell phone while drivin', even if it's hands free is a true distraction from the responsibility of exclusive concentration on the road.
The human mind is not built for "multi-tasking". True it can be done, but every facet of that endeavor will be less than 100%.
That's why SOOO BIG doesn't have any dents!
Happy Ptin', ptprice
Remember when you went to the filling station, and inside the small cramped store portion, not the mega-sized convenience stores of today, you would get a bottle of soda from a coin operated chest cooler, and put a few pennies into a coin-operated dispenser and get some peanuts, there would be the rack full of all the individual folded up State maps!

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
149k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93