PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overhead console Arduino OLED clock/compass/temp install

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jan 2017, 08:12 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Overhead console Arduino OLED clock/compass/temp install

Apologies for this project dragging its heels somewhat. Winter means everything happens at a snail's pace here. I use that to ensure I'm doing my best though.

Thanks to @Rob302 for the recommendation on the Murata 5v 78xx drop-in regulators. They're absolutely neato. The first ones I got in were the straight-pinned versions, however I decided to grab a right-angled pin version. This is why:

The auxiliary PCB takes the 12v/0v lines straight from the console and feeds it to the regulator, with three outputs on the 5v and 0v bus. That should feed the RTC , OLED and compass modules nicely. The Teensy itself will be bussed up off the RTC doubled-up I2C/SPI voltage rails. The PCB also has drilled holes for looping the wires through as strain-relief.

If anybody is interested in rolling their own overhead console replacement, I'm happy to send out voltage regulator daughterboards for beerware; postage and the price of a beer. Just source a "Murata OKI-78SR-5/1.5-W36H-C" and you're running!

OKI-78SR-5/1.5-W36H-C Murata Power Solutions | Non-Isolated DC-DC Converter 7

Other uses for the regulator will be found around the car; specifically things like having USB charging points for passengers and powering the centralised Android console tablet install.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use" - Søren Kierkegaard
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" - Christopher Hitchens

Last edited by Prostheta; 28 Jan 2017 at 08:17 am.
Old 28 Jan 2017, 08:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Neat! I'm jealous of that screen. The arduino screen i have is big and ugly
Old 28 Jan 2017, 10:31 am
Regular Cruiser

They're a few freedom bucks from Banggood.com, eBay or even Adafruit; they're probably going to have a lifetime of a few years at most I think, so I'm ordering in spares to stash just in case.

If I were to go through another iteration of this design (probably for when I convert a second PTC into a panel van!) I'd make up an all-in-one PCB to include the ATMega32U4, Maxim RTC chip, a compass chip/accelerometer and piggy-back the regulator. The TQFP version of the microcontroller is hand-solderable.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use" - Søren Kierkegaard
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" - Christopher Hitchens
Old 28 Jan 2017, 11:01 am
Regular Cruiser

A bit of an aside whilst you're active, do you have any ideas on whether or not the overhead console might be useful for integrating a discrete external GPS antenna of some sort? The 2013 Nexus 7 Android tablet install we'll be doing might be in a place where GPS is just crappy for line of sight. I'm wondering if the location of the overhead console might be good for creating a localised wireless GPS device in addition to all the other silly toys. It's right next to the roof, so this seems tempting.

Old 09 Feb 2017, 11:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the useful information.
Old 01 Mar 2017, 02:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

FWIW, I found the GPS antenna that came with my radio/dvd/backup camera/etc etc unit seems to work equally excellent wherever I stuck it inside the PT's dash... (it's currently way down by the bottom somewhere...)