PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overhead console Arduino OLED clock/compass/temp install

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Oct 2016, 07:00 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Overhead console Arduino OLED clock/compass/temp install

This thread will be a slow-burning documentation of developing new electronics for the overhead console in my 2001 Touring Edition PTC, building on the disassembly reference thread I created here:

Disassembling and examing the overhead console (2001 model)

The main objective is to ditch that cheesy VFD display plus its electronics and replace it with something more modern and useful. The compass just sucks but the temp reading is nice. Provisionally, I'd like to add in a clock also however since we'll have a centre console Android tablet install, we'll likely have more clock than we'll ever need via that.

Having torn down the overhead console, there is another space behind the smoked plastic lens for a 55mm x 16mm display. I'm still hunting around for a good candidate.

The console will be driven by an Arduino Micro, which will replace the big PCB with the VFD soldered onboard. A DS3231 real-time clock module can provide a backup timebase for the Arduino (which will reboot with the car) with some external compass module providing cardinal direction data.

Still under investigation is the two-wire ambient air temperature sensor module at the front of the car. I'm suspecting that this is simply a thermistor, and if so we can incorporate that into a voltage divider with an analogue input on the Arduino to provide temperature readings. Don't replace what works!

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use" - Søren Kierkegaard
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" - Christopher Hitchens

Last edited by Prostheta; 15 Oct 2016 at 01:12 am.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 04:07 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Overhead console Arduino OLED clock/compass/temp install

Okay, well this pneumonia is really kicking my ass. Its given me a bit of time to do the desktop work and insomnia the thinking part though.

Warning: Arduino Content Ahead

Looking at the real estate for the display as it stands, a pair of 0,96" OLED displays such as these:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/326

....side-by-side should fill this out nicely without major enlargement. Initially I was considering one of these:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/2675

....however the curve of the lens versus the width of the flat mono display would be annoying. I'd rather angle in the two OLEDs.

The source I'm getting the OLEDs from has a variety of options. One is a pure white display whilst the other is blue with a narrow band of yellow pixels across the top, ideal for statuses, etc. This allows me possibilities such as this:

I'm unsure as to how much RAM the character tables will chew up at the moment, or whether a 16MHz Arduino MPU will start bogging down with the processing required for two displays and rendering a compass. The 3D compass isn't set in stone, however better tracking around 360° would be nicer than the coarse existing compass.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use" - Søren Kierkegaard
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" - Christopher Hitchens
Old 12 Oct 2016, 09:21 am
Regular Cruiser

Flat out, the Arduino UNO, Due, etc. development boards are going to be far too large to stash inside the overhead console without significant modifications to the lamp assembies.

Smaller boards like the Arduino Micro have 32kb (28kb after the bootloader) of onboard flash memory to consider storing the sketch, large bitmap character tables for the clock, etc. Huh. Bummer. It might work out, however I guess that I need to make a set of character tables and figure out space requirements.

Worst comes to the worst, and the clock speed of the Micro isn't fast enough to render a compass plus run two displays....I think a Teensy development board might be in order....

Last edited by Prostheta; 12 Oct 2016 at 09:34 am.
Old 13 Oct 2016, 04:15 am
Regular Cruiser

Okay, so after removing the PCB with the VFD and compass module onboard we have a LOT more real estate to play with. The mini 8-way connector from main 12-way console is interesting since three of the ways are unpopulated.

The PCB traces show them as having connectivity around the board, but as to what they are....? The VFD doesn't seem to give any clues as to expanded functionality, but hey. We're not keeping that....

The the mini 8-way connector has the following connections (corresponds to the rear of the male connector block or the front of the female):

(Mini - Colour - Main Header # - Description)
1 - Brown - 5 - AMBIENT TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL
2 - Pink - 11 - AMBIENT TEMPERATURE SENSOR GROUND
3 - NC
4 - NC
5 - NC
6 - Orange - 10 - PANEL LAMPS DRIVER
7 - Green - 12 - GROUND
8 - Blue - 6 - FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (RUN-ACC)

Whilst I'm waiting for the parts order to come in, I can take the DVM into the car and start making observations of the ambient temperature sensor's resistance reading at various temperatures. Unless I get some sort of datasheet on that item, it'll be a case of refining the resistance change with temperature and changing the Arduino sketch to reflect them. I'm sure that given the location of the sensor, that dropping it into a glass of hot water with a thermometer in should get me a good set of readings from 50°C down to whatever. If it's linear, I shouldn't need to worry about measuring below freezing temps once I have the hot ones.

Not sure if the panel lamps driver line will be much use for the overhead console. The OLEDs are not dimmable. I think once I get a basic mockup working we can take a view on whether to do something with that, whether it be in the code or whatever.

Old 15 Oct 2016, 09:31 am
Regular Cruiser

I'll use this thread via re-editing to make observations of the ambient temperature sensor (thermistor) resistance readings.

~4°C - 22,2kΩ

I clearly need a better outdoor thermometer....

Last edited by Prostheta; 15 Oct 2016 at 09:41 am.
Old 15 Oct 2016, 01:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostheta View Post
Flat out, the Arduino UNO, Due, etc. development boards are going to be far too large to stash inside the overhead console without significant modifications to the lamp assembies.

Smaller boards like the Arduino Micro have 32kb (28kb after the bootloader) of onboard flash memory to consider storing the sketch, large bitmap character tables for the clock, etc. Huh. Bummer. It might work out, however I guess that I need to make a set of character tables and figure out space requirements.
i got hooked on the mega. why not use one and just mount it somewhere else? with two screens you won't be stacking them on the arduino anyways

i got some arduino junk on here.. nice to see someone else doing it too.
What are you working on?
arduino anyone?
homebuilt wifi car starter

interested to see how this comes along.
Prostheta likes this.
Old 15 Oct 2016, 02:30 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 10:53 am.
Old 15 Oct 2016, 03:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

@sanatanadharma - that certainly correlates with the resistance I measured at about 2-4°C or about 37-38°F. A trim pot might be a good way around knowing the exact spec of the thermistor.

I take it that the 5v reference mentioned will simply be as part of a voltage divider. Again, I think I could do with knowing the extremes in order to decide on exactly which other value to use as part of that divider....or go hunting around the PCB for the resistor used there....

@rob302 - fantastic....another person willing to disassemble the world around them and rebuild it to function how they want it to.
I'd like to try and keep the overhead console somewhat standalone so that the existing 12-way header coming from the rest of the car electronics is all that is needed. In that respect, stashing all of the new gear inside of the existing space is a priority. I think it should be fine, especially if I use a Teensy board rather than a traditional Arduino. I'll be developing my code using an Uno (more than likely) but the finished item will be far more compact with a Teensy. That and I think I can leverage the additional processing power to do more over time. For example, if I re-used the switch I could have modes to switch between. Things like temperature logging over time or however else the data the unit will be working with can be stored and manipulated. I guess an important aspect will be to discriminate between standing temps increased by the engine (accelerometer?) versus actual driving temps. Again, it's a code thing. Adding a USB connection behind one of the courtesy lamp lenses should allow me to update the sketch as things are refined.

Old 16 Oct 2016, 10:05 am
Regular Cruiser

@sanatanadharma - is this "shop manual" available electronically? I'm waiting for the UK Haynes manual to drop here, however I'm unsure whether this will have the same info in there, or whether I need a Chilton manual, etc. for all of that.

edit: I believe that I found it here! Free 01-04 PT cruiser shop manual

Last edited by Prostheta; 16 Oct 2016 at 10:12 am.
Old 16 Oct 2016, 10:17 am
Regular Cruiser

From what I can discern, it seems that the ambient temperature sensor isn't connected solely to the overhead console, and that it's actually read by the PCM and maybe other items also. Now that's interesting. The text definitely states that it is a basic thermistor which we can quantify given a bit of work.

It's that "5v reference voltage" bit. I guess I'm going to have to fire her up and measure the terminals at the console to see whether I'm reading a voltage there or not. If so, then the Arduino will be measuring that for conversion to temps rather than inserting the thermistor as part of another voltage divider.