Advertisements
Steering wheel removal

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Apr 2017, 12:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Steering wheel removal

I've done some searching, but cant come up with it. Does anyone have pics or a video of the steering wheel removal process for an '01 to '05 PT? I believe I need to remove the column cover and then access the screws from the back. Is this correct, and are they torx screws?

Thanks for any guidance - I'm getting ready to install my new wheel...

Old 03 Apr 2017, 01:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Steering wheel removal

I've done it several times.

You have to remove the column coves. Then stand on your head and you can see two studs with pointed heads sticking through from the air bag. Those are held in place with spring clips. You have to take snap ring pliers or a large screw driver and pry the springs apart to let the stud heads pass. I like the large screw driver better. You need to be pulling out on the air bag at the same time.

Once the air bag is removed, the rest is just routine with a standard steering wheel puller. Be very careful with the clock spring. They break very easily and you can also wind or unwind them too much.

I'll try to find some photos if I have time. But that's the jest of it. Took me about an hour the first time. Last time it was fifteen minutes. Just takes practice.

Here's some of CREWZIN's images:

rckstein likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Apr 2017 at 01:30 pm.
Old 03 Apr 2017, 01:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Steering wheel removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I've done it several times.

You have to remove the column coves. Then stand on your head and you can see two studs with pointed heads sticking through from the air bag. Those are held in place with spring clips. You have to take snap ring pliers or a large screw driver and pry the springs apart to let the stud heads pass. I like the large screw driver better. You need to be pulling out on the air bag at the same time.

Once the air bag is removed, the rest is just routine with a standard steering wheel puller. Be very careful with the clock spring. They break very easily and you can also wind or unwind them too much.

I'll try to find some photos if I have time. But that's the jest of it. Took me about an hour the first time. Last time it was fifteen minutes. Just takes practice.
Definitely different than I thought, but actually looks easier. Thanks so much!!!