Always On Trunk Mini Fridge

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rob302
  • 1 Post By PeWi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2017, 12:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Always On Trunk Mini Fridge

So summer is coming and I have school all through summer. So some way to store and cool a whole case of water would be great. But I don't want to drain the battery and have to jump it every time. So my idea is setting up a secondary battery in the trunk or under the back seat (I'm even willing to totally remove the back seat if needed). I imagine a deep cycle battery would be best for this because it will be able to run down while the car is off and charge up while it is running. I have electrical tools and am fairly knowledgeable (but still very new) with electrical work including being able to read schematics. I just need some advice on how to safely wire a second battery into my system without it becoming the "main" battery or anything like that. Would I need a higher output alternator to charge that? Really any advice is good advice. Ideally a fridge that can hold 24 bottles would be great, but I can settle for less if a fridge that large is too demanding.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 12:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Always On Trunk Mini Fridge

Welcome to the forum

Doesn't that seem like a lot of work, and expense, for little gain? How many bottles of water would you be drinking at one time? Wouldn't it just be easier and cheaper to keep a few bottles in a cooler, and replenish each day how ever many bottles you drink?

Please go to the Welcome New PT Cruiser Members section and introduce yourself and tell us about your PT.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
144K Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '83 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 20 Apr 2017 at 12:57 pm.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 01:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'll go over and introduce myself when I get home. I'm just typing from my phone right now. But I feel like it would pay off just because I can leave it sit for a good bit of time and not worry about the heat. It's more of a fire and forget thing. But if it gets too pricy then yea ill probably just get a cooler.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 01:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

my friends audi back in the day had a cup holder that flipped out in front of the AC vent. made a warm can COLD in about a minute.

a 2007 PT is not a car that deals well with electrical mods.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 09:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

with the expense of the battery and trying to make it all work I'd just purchase a nice jumpbox, most cases they have 12 volt accessary and usb ports. Then you have the option to run the cooler off the car (and if the car dies use the jump box) or plug it into the jump box and make a habbit of charging it everynight