Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 1 Post By PTButch
  • 1 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2017, 06:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Please explain what happened

Went to Valvoline today for oil change. They told me that it was recommended that I change the tranny fluid. I said sure. They used a machine that ran off my battery. Of course the negative post is not visible so they used the inside of the engine compartment. When all done, I fired up my 02 dream cruiser and the air bag light was on and the windows would not work. WTF. They pulled some fuses and they were all good. Ask me to move the cruiser into the shade to take a better look at everything and when I started it up, everything worked again. What the he!! happened.
Old 03 Aug 2017, 06:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Please explain what happened

Did they replace the filter as well? If not, kind of pointless to have clean fluid going through an old filter.

Did their machine use any kind of cleaners or chemicals circulated through the transmission to get a nearly 100% of fluid exchange. If so, Chrysler does not recommend any kind of cleaners to be introduced through the transmission.

I had this kind of transmission service done a while back at a dealership, but they don't use any cleaners or chemicals in the fluid exchange process. I kind of worry about quick lube places as some of their systems do use cleaners or chemicals in the process.

From one of your previous posts, you were needing a numbered dash plate for your DC. Did you ever get one? If not, Handy_Cruiser got one on one of his junk yard runs and I believe in one of his current pics I noticed it still sitting on his desk.

Dream Cruiser number tag

You might send him a PM if you still need or want it.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 03 Aug 2017, 07:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for replay. No chemicals or cleaners. Just tranny fluid. Sucked out the old. Put in the new. Start the car they put some in while they sucked out the old again . Then put some more in. Can't go wrong and I was surprised I could tell the difference. I thought the numbers were special but it appears that they just pulled them out of a box in no order. Took the special right out of it.
Old 03 Aug 2017, 07:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

How many miles are on your PT?

Do you know anything about the maintenance history of it? When was the last time the transmission filter was changed?

It's recommended every 60,000 miles.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 03 Aug 2017, 08:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yep. 97k. I bought it used at 94k miles. A car fax showed all the service and repair. 2 previous owners. First owner took good care of it. All the service at recommend intervals. Second owner didn't have it long but did regular oil changes.
rckstein likes this.
Old 04 Aug 2017, 09:00 am
Veteran Cruiser

They half assed that transmission fluid deal on you. As stated, it's pointless to change fluid and not the filter. And I wonder what type of fluid they put in it. If they didn't use ATF+4, you'll be replacing that transmission before long.
rckstein likes this.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 04 Aug 2017, 09:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

My question is not about the tranny service it is about why the air bag light came on and the windows not working. Is this going to happen every time the battery is ground to the engine compartment.