PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Interior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Interior swap - '01 leather into '07 cloth?

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2017, 09:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Interior swap - '01 leather into '07 cloth?

The question is...... can it be done?

My 01 petrol got wiped out by a tractor (or all things ) and written off.
Just nabbed a 2007 diesel with a cloth interior. The cloth interior is spotless, but it's not leather, is it?
Plus, the 01 leather seats are as good as anything Volvo ever made IMHO - and I've had a few Volvos in my time... and they're heated and have lumber support and armrests - none of which the clothies have

So.. I would like to swap out the door cards and the seats - 01 into 2007.

Has anyone done it or know if it can be done? If it can, are there any problems to look out for?

Thanks in advane
Old 07 Aug 2017, 10:37 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Interior swap - '01 leather into '07 cloth?

i know if the 2007 has airbags in the seats, it's going to cause an issue. you'll have the airbag light on and may fail an inspection(if those apply where you are)
Handy_Cruiser and Sinbad like this.
Old 07 Aug 2017, 11:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I know at least some of the 1 Gen (2001 thru 2005) PT's had airbags in the front seats. Mine did. But whether they are compatible with the 2007 system is unknown. At least, I don't know.

PS: My 2007 Vert does not have airbags in the seat. So not all 2007 PT have that.
Old 07 Aug 2017, 11:56 am
Cool Cruiser

Good point... got a *feeling* the leathers have side bags. I'll have a look later...

Airbag fault is a definite no-no in the German TuV Rob
Old 07 Aug 2017, 06:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

I was consider just the reverse when I was looking for replacement seats for SOOO BIG. Both Handy and Rob advised me. With their advise, I backed off on my search for a nice set of late model seats because of the incompatibilities and hung in there till I found a set of early compatible seats.

I do know the side air bag wiring and fittings for the early and late PTs are different creating your first incompatibility.

You don't have lumbar or arm rests in the 07 but those seats are six years newer and as you indicated "spotless". That's a plus!

The seat heater from to 01 might be exchanged if the 07 is wired for it and compatible, if the plastic side seat trim that holds the switch is interchangeable and the early and late seat frames are the same in that respect to accept the heater assembly.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Sinbad likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 08 Aug 2017, 01:18 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I do know the side air bag wiring and fittings for the early and late PTs are different creating your first incompatibility.
Words of Wisdom from the PT Mount....

Thanks mate - I think you've dissuaded me with common sense - experience (albeit short) tells me that anything that fecks around with a PT's electrics is going to bite you on the arse sooner or later - and that's without dealing with the delights of the later models CANBUS system

They seem to have enough factory fitted gremlins without me trying to be clever, so I'll sell on the 01 complete and keep an eye out for leathers from a CANBUS equipped donor.

Old 08 Aug 2017, 09:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Sinbad. Good luck with your "new" PT.

I for one have never seen the engine compartment of a diesel PT. How 'bout posting some photos of your 07 including a peek under the hood.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Sinbad likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 08 Aug 2017 at 11:19 am. Reason: a to e
Old 09 Aug 2017, 01:45 am
Cool Cruiser

Will do on the pics.

I'm currently trying to work out exactly which Mercedes engine is in it so I can mod. out the EGR valve as per the Mercedes forums - could be one of two.

So far it beats the shit out of me and Google....
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 09 Aug 2017, 06:46 am
Cool Cruiser

Now that seems like good news... apparently you can knock out the EGR using just a 4.7K resistor poked in the EGR's plug on a Merc and on Jeeps and Chryslers.

Resistors ordered for peanuts.

Any other weasel Cruiser owners done it?
Old 15 Aug 2017, 11:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

As promised...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg d1e78ec2-1735-4297-afa7-6563075599fd.jpg (93.3 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Sinbad; 15 Aug 2017 at 11:20 pm.