Intermittent SRS light when passenger seat occupied

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2017, 11:06 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Intermittent SRS light when passenger seat occupied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
For anyone following this due to similiar issue...Dealership called and said all they are showing is an open circuit and suspect the passenger buckle needs replaced. So for $150 bucks, i'm back where I started If I opted for them to fix, it's 2 hours labor to remove the seat and swap buckles. Minus the diagnostic fee, the stealership wants me to fork out $406 bucks to swap out a $50 part that takes 30 mins and that folks, is why I hate my l hate my local dealership!
That sucks, but it is also why sometimes I just throw parts at it.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 12:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

I normally do too, but i was under the impression the dealership had a high-tech SRS scanner that had the ability to really pin-point a fault to a component or specific area or circuit and not so damn general as "short detected"...damn, the car pretty much told me that with an annoying ding and a bright red light!

What really gets me is they want $400 bucks to R&R a buckle on a removed seat that may or may not fix the problem Its like, damn dude, how about doing me a solid and not upcharge the part by 60% and charge me for 2 hours labor to R&R a buckle on seat you already removed. Especially when your not even sure there is anything wrong with the buckle.

I guess you live and you learn

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Einstein
Old 27 Sep 2017, 01:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
I normally do too, but i was under the impression the dealership had a high-tech SRS scanner that had the ability to really pin-point a fault to a component or specific area or circuit and not so damn general as "short detected"...damn, the car pretty much told me that with an annoying ding and a bright red light!

What really gets me is they want $400 bucks to R&R a buckle on a removed seat that may or may not fix the problem Its like, damn dude, how about doing me a solid and not upcharge the part by 60% and charge me for 2 hours labor to R&R a buckle on seat you already removed. Especially when your not even sure there is anything wrong with the buckle.

I guess you live and you learn
Yeah. That is kind of crooked. Good dealers will usually deduct some or all of the diagnostic fee if you agree to do the job there. Trouble with dealers is there is usually a service writer and you don't always get to talk to the techs. With my guy I usually roll in and tell him what I want done and he tells me how much and calls me if there is more that needs doing.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 04:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Like I said previously, my passenger I did in a half hour total. Slide seat full forward, remove side shield screw, lift shield up and then rearward to slide it out. My 3/8 inch racket with the bit fit in the depression where the part brake is. Easy peazy lemon squeezy. New part was $50 and local dealer had one in stock.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 06:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

I was going to just swap out the buckle too, however, my light started coming on without a passenger as well and didn't want to just throw parts at it. If I just swapped out the passenger buckle and it didn't fix it, I'd be out 50 bucks and still end up having to take it to the dealer. My thoughts were, for 150 bucks I'd get a solid answer. Unfortunately, I didn't get that and I argued my way out of the 150 bucks. Pretty much told them for a 150 bucks, I was at the same place I was before I got there, a suspected bad buckle. They agreed. My dealer could get one next day, but wanted 120 bucks! I just ordered one for 50. Hopefully it will fix the problem, if not, guess I'll throw parts at it.

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Einstein
Old 01 Oct 2017, 05:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Grass, let us know how you made out. My car hade codes that lead right to the buckle. That's why I swayed mine out, mine being a 2008. What year is your PT?
Old 02 Oct 2017, 09:30 am
Regular Cruiser

Mine is an 08 as well. New buckle should be here today. Now, when the wife and children actually allow me some time to swap it out, is a whole nother story!
rcktpwrd likes this.

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

Old 03 Oct 2017, 08:57 am
Regular Cruiser

Looks like the buckle isn't my problem, unless of course i got a bad one. I was trying to re-pin a connector under the seat because the wire had a crimp mark. Guess i'll just cut the wire and just use an enviromental splice and see if that might fix the annoying DING!

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

Old 22 Oct 2017, 10:11 am
Regular Cruiser

Wow, wiring can be a pain, I did look very carefully at the wires under the pass seat for fear the previous owners kids feet may have snagged one causing the problem... but mine lead right to the buckle. I do know the buckle was a problem in the 2007 and 2008 cars. Let us know what you find........